Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby monkeyboy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Will there be a 64-bit 201101 release, or is it needed?

Nope, only one final LMDE 64 bit release. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry

If you can't make it work maybe you are making it fail.
User avatar
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Kelley_Green on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Will there be a 64-bit 201101 release, or is it needed?

Nope, only one final LMDE 64 bit release. Enjoy


Thanks!
Is 201012 that release?
Running Linux Mint on two Netbooks, one Dell laptop and one Quad-core Desktop.
Kelley_Green
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby monkeyboy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Yep, just go here and have fun. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=75
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry

If you can't make it work maybe you are making it fail.
User avatar
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Kelley_Green on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:51 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Yep, just go here and have fun. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=75


Thanks!
Running Linux Mint on two Netbooks, one Dell laptop and one Quad-core Desktop.
Kelley_Green
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby cwgtex on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:01 pm

dhante0334 wrote:Hello guys, just need help on linux mint debian, am using the 64 bit version, my video card is not working it is a ati radeon hd 3400 and skype is not working when i open it nothing happens. thank you and have a nice day,


With the 64bit version, I had to install [ia32-libs-gtk] to get skype working. Make sure you have [ia32-libs] installed also.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is." - Anonymous 33W
User avatar
cwgtex
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Kelley_Green on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 am

cwgtex wrote:
dhante0334 wrote:Hello guys, just need help on linux mint debian, am using the 64 bit version, my video card is not working it is a ati radeon hd 3400 and skype is not working when i open it nothing happens. thank you and have a nice day,


With the 64bit version, I had to install [ia32-libs-gtk] to get skype working. Make sure you have [ia32-libs] installed also.


Thanks!
Running Linux Mint on two Netbooks, one Dell laptop and one Quad-core Desktop.
Kelley_Green
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Sassinak on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 pm

jamshill wrote:hi there,

I am new here.

I am using linuex windows. I am facing a problem can any body tell me about the features of windows.


You may have installed Linux from within Windows, but not Linux for Windows.
Linux replaces Windows as a desktop Operating System ("OS").

We can help you, but you will have to be much more specific: What is the problem ?
What is the Linux version ("distribution") you installed? On what kind of machine?
"What senses do we lack, that we cannot see [...] a world all around us ?" Frank Herbert, Dune
Currently using Lucid, but switching back and forth with LMDE.
Sassinak
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Quebec, Quebec

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby zohall on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:42 am

oh finally release :o
thank u
zohall
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 am
Location: www.zohall.org

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby 442632Mi on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Just installed at Home Workstation, its nice & responsive very well. More power Masters. Thank you so much for this one. :)
442632Mi
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby unixphoenix on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 am

i installed linux mint debian edition in my 40 gig hdd .iheve debian stable on a separate 40 gig hdd.thanks for debian testing.please do let me know how i can help test my computer and give you feedback for debian lmde.congrats and jolly great work!!
unixphoenix
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby premamotion on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:58 pm

I have a question, maybe is offtopic here but didn`t found any other place where to post it... On Distrowatch, why Linux Mint and LMDE are listed together??
I want to see LMDE`s position, separate from Linux Mint, which is not the same thing... why they have included LMDE and Linux Mint under Mint???
User avatar
premamotion
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Bacau, Romania

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby Quantumboredom on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Eucalyptus wrote:
albert wrote:I installed LMDE 32bit on VirtualBox VM running on an aging iMac (I'm getting closer to just wiping the iMac and installing LM), and it works great directly from the .iso, however, when I try to install it, I eventually get a menu which scans for partitions (there 20 GiB available in VM). The menu follows one which asks about keyboard layout. I then "edit" partitions, Gparted starts and shows my 20 GiB unallocated space. I'm tempted to create a partition table but don't really have a clue re the details.

Any help here greatly appreciated.


The most important to remember is to separate root and home partition. Assuming you allocates 512 MB RAM to the VM:

6 to 8 GB, ext4, / (slash which means root)
remaining -512 MB, ext4, /home
512 MB, swap

Is it really important to have a separate /home partition? I would much prefer to just have a swap partition and a / partition, nothing else. Is there anything wrong with that?
Quantumboredom
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby rtrev on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I don't keep a distinct /home partition. Rather, I just use symbolic links to the things I care about keeping. For example, I use GFTP, so my real .gftp directory is on one of my data disks, and there's a .gftp symbolic link to it in my home directory. Same with other apps I care about not having to set up on each install.

If it's important to you to not have a distinct /home, I can't think of any reason you need to.

HTH,
Bob
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby hamdimo on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:03 pm

is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian??
I'm using version 10 from mint, it's awesome but then i read that LMDE is faster, i wanna give it a try and upgrade or update or whatever i have to do :p
User avatar
hamdimo
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby rpeake on Sat May 07, 2011 12:36 am

Hello. I have tested the Linux Mint Debian 64 bit release and was disappointed. If the intention is to eventually move away from Ubuntu to Debian then please base the future Linux Mints on the stable version not the test version. Or perhaps you could offer future Linux Mint Debian in 2 basic flavours, Debian Stable and Debian Test. Ron
rpeake
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby friTTe on Tue May 10, 2011 12:01 pm

rpeake wrote:Hello. I have tested the Linux Mint Debian 64 bit release and was disappointed. If the intention is to eventually move away from Ubuntu to Debian then please base the future Linux Mints on the stable version not the test version. Or perhaps you could offer future Linux Mint Debian in 2 basic flavours, Debian Stable and Debian Test. Ron


You can always change the sources to squueze, the latest stable relase of Debian.
But i get what you want :) maybe someone could do a remaster with the stable sources added.
User avatar
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby friTTe on Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm

hamdimo wrote:is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian??
I'm using version 10 from mint, it's awesome but then i read that LMDE is faster, i wanna give it a try and upgrade or update or whatever i have to do :p


Well the easy answer is no :) 10 is based on Ubuntu and LMDE is based on Debian, make some backups and a fresh install, then sit back,relax grab some cold ones :)
User avatar
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby mintyed on Tue May 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi I just want to say its a good os in general, good ideas for a rolling release. lots of good ideas etc.

but i find this, since its creation and because the rolling release there needs to be an update when the debian testing base updates to the next one. my friend who has a 2ghz dual core with 4gigs ram a few weeks ago installed and it took him between 3-5 hours plugged into a dsl cable with good internet speeds. these days for a computer os, especially a linux one thats shocking. if lmde was kept up to date and maintained better it would help. i say this y would the team start a project if not to continue to make changes, updates and improvements. others things i Note is that it lacks lmde splash screen and branding, also does not link to #linuxmint-debian in xchat.

so is there going to be an update for this soon with fixes that will make lmde a great os for all.

p.s. i hear there is a lack of devs working on this project and some of them where also on the main mint dev team hence this wonderful distro is far behind where it could be.
Enjoy It
Linux is many things to many people.
If you use it and it fits your needs enjoy it.
User avatar
mintyed
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby mintyed on Tue May 24, 2011 7:56 pm

friTTe wrote:
hamdimo wrote:is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian??
I'm using version 10 from mint, it's awesome but then i read that LMDE is faster, i wanna give it a try and upgrade or update or whatever i have to do :p


Well the easy answer is no :) 10 is based on Ubuntu and LMDE is based on Debian, make some backups and a fresh install, then sit back,relax grab some cold ones :)


not to mention hours to install as no updated release. once done you are good to go.
Enjoy It
Linux is many things to many people.
If you use it and it fits your needs enjoy it.
User avatar
mintyed
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Postby m4daredsun on Wed May 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Mickeyj4j wrote:Hi I just want to say its a good os in general, good ideas for a rolling release. lots of good ideas etc.

but i find this, since its creation and because the rolling release there needs to be an update when the debian testing base updates to the next one. my friend who has a 2ghz dual core with 4gigs ram a few weeks ago installed and it took him between 3-5 hours plugged into a dsl cable with good internet speeds. these days for a computer os, especially a linux one thats shocking. if lmde was kept up to date and maintained better it would help. i say this y would the team start a project if not to continue to make changes, updates and improvements. others things i Note is that it lacks lmde splash screen and branding, also does not link to #linuxmint-debian in xchat.



Installed LMDE 201101 on my girlfriend's laptop only yesterday. Still have to download 900 MB of updates. Basically it's like downloading the ISO and installing the OS a 2nd time, but I'm sure it'll take much longer :roll:

An ISO with more frequent updates would be really great...
The only limiting factor of the Linux operating system is its user - Linus Torvalds
User avatar
m4daredsun
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests