Throttle on Debian repositories? [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
psych1610

Throttle on Debian repositories? [Solved]

Post by psych1610 »

Basically as the question says. I recently installed LMDE and have been receiving updates and installing applications at about 40-70 kB/s. I'm sure my connection can handle more than this and it has before from Ubuntu repositories just a few days ago.

Currently updating at just 15 kB/s! I want to love you Debian, I do, but you make it so difficult!

So does Debian throttle their repositories? If not, any tips on how I can diagnose and/or fix the problem? Help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Throttle on Debian repositories?

Post by rivenathos »

You are probably still using the main repositories. If you switch to one in your country, you may get better speeds. Being in the US, I use:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
Put your country code in there and see if that works for you.

Some of the folks in the forum have had good luck with using the "netselect-apt" package for finding teh fastest Debian mirror. That might help, as well.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I also suggest you use netselect-apt to find the fastest repository for you.
Often the closest to you is fastest but not always.
Another idea which may help is to use debdelta.Then you only download the difference from the old package to the new.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Thank you both for your suggestions! I will try them both and get back to you with my successes or failures.

*Edit* Success! Thank you both very much. I quickly changed the repository as suggested to point to the U.S. servers and I intend to try out the 'netselect-apt' package tomorrow.
Last edited by psych1610 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axxer

Post by axxer »

i use apt-fast to accelerate my upgrade speed
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/improve- ... grade.html
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

rivenathos wrote:You are probably still using the main repositories. If you switch to one in your country, you may get better speeds. Being in the US, I use:
Glad to see this!!! I've been trying to figure it out for the last week. (200+ Updates on a new install at 16.6kbs last night).

I'll be checking this tonight on all three installs.

I tried the:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
...last night before even trying to grab the updates, to no avail, as far as I could see.

Thanks Riv,
Dave
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Yes, that piece of advice to change the repository was some valuable information and one that probably would have pushed me away had I not bothered to ask!

Would it be possible in the future for the mint Installer to determine ones location and put in its best guess for a server so people don't have to deal with it to begin with? It's not hard to change, but for a user friendly distribution it's little things like selecting the repository closest to someone that might do the trick. Maybe 'netselect-apt' can be used for this.

If it sounds reasonable or feasible I'll add it to the feature request page for LMDE. Or maybe make a bug report about it.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I do know that the recent Debian Live GUI expert installer does let you chose repositories. So it can be done.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

psych1610 wrote:Yes, that piece of advice to change the repository was some valuable information and one that probably would have pushed me away had I not bothered to ask!

If it sounds reasonable or feasible I'll add it to the feature request page for LMDE. Or maybe make a bug report about it.
There's also a thread for suggestions / requests for the LMDE spin3 where you could add the suggestion. It is a good idea, and I only knew about changing the repo's from a previous install of Mint 8 I think, on a laptop. Before I found out about it I thought they had the slowest mirrors in existence.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Excellent! I'll add my thoughts to the LMDE spin 3 ideas thread and point back here for questions.

Marking this as resolved since I think it is :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”