unable to get wireless with liquorix kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dante19992

unable to get wireless with liquorix kernel

Post by dante19992 »

i tried installing Liquorix kernel but when i did i lost my ability to connect to wireless. i tried reinstalling the broadcom-sta using the sticky. i got a build error everytime. anyone know how to fix this? anyone plz help? i have so many bugs liquorix fixes but it cant if i dont get wireless. if icant get them fixed ill have to go back to main edition D:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: unable to get wireless with liquorix kernel

Post by telenux »

dante19992 wrote:i tried installing Liquorix kernel but when i did i lost my ability to connect to wireless. i tried reinstalling the broadcom-sta using the sticky. i got a build error everytime. anyone know how to fix this? anyone plz help? i have so many bugs liquorix fixes but it cant if i dont get wireless. if icant get them fixed ill have to go back to main edition D:
Are you saying your re-installed the required Broadcom firmware and it still didn't help?

If so, try the remove/add the associated module trick? The 'modprobe' steps that work with your chipset and driver. At last resort before downgrading kernel, visit the 'linux wireless' page for your chipset and driver and follow the steps as if you're starting from scratch or re-installing the wifi driver.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices

Try this page, too:
http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Without knowing what exactly happened or what is going on when your wifi doesn't work, it's hard to give advice. You might want to provide more info so other users who are experienced with wifi issues can chime in. :)

Details of: wifi chipset, wifi device - usb,pci, etc.
Commands: lspci or lsusb etc., trying dmesg will show info on the chipset and might give some insight if your wifi card is getting recognized and if modules are loading....

However, it doesn't hurt to have info about your wifi chipset and the drivers that it uses. It's must easier that way to recognize certain things and know what to do in order to troubleshoot these problems.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

well im no longer using LMDE so it doesnt matter but i would follow the sticky in the thread but when i got to "m-a a-i broadcom-sta" it would start its way down and when it started to build the module it would fail to build it would say "build error" and quit
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

What are you using now?

Debian doesn't include the firmware or anything that is needed for non-free stuff so you have to know what to install. I don't think Mint is changing the system much except some tweaking like what they did with the menu layout and using Firefox instead of Iceweasel. When you upgraded the kernel, it's possible the firmware isn't part of it anymore or something annoying like that which would be a significant change. Or the upgrade resulted in something else getting 'broken' or 'changed' so you needed to manually install or enable something again.

I think if you looked at why your wifi device works in something else, you should be able to take that pattern and apply it to Debian or LMDE.

If you look in your package manager, it should display what 'Broadcom stuff' is installed and the commands I listed will show what chipset, modules, firmware, etc. that is being detected and used.

Anyway, if you switched and not trying to solve the issue, I guess I'll assume the problem is abandoned. If you try again, take a look at the current OS and the wifi info.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

now im using julia with the liquorix kernel cuz julia is easier to work with and liquorix kernel gave it a massive speed boost
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

dante19992,
You change distros at least once a day! :lol: It might help us all to keep track of what distro you are using before lunch and after lunch if you listed it in your signature. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i change between the two and actually its twice a day :P u can tell whioch one im using by the banner in my sig actually the current one is main and the one that says "linux mint debain user" means LMDE :P. i cant help it tho i actually enjoy installing a distro :P. WOW tht sounds dumb lolz anywayz this issue only applied to LMDE but i did some googling and found tons of ppl with the same problem so if someone knows the solution plz post it
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i did forget to mention one thing apparently. i forgot to mention that as soon as i find out how to get wireless working on LMDE with the liquorix kernel im switching back. so if someone can help me still plz

Return to “LMDE Archive”