Will changes be available for already installed systems?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
psych1610

Will changes be available for already installed systems?

Post by psych1610 »

I've been away from Linux Mint for a while now, having used Windows and then back to a Lucid install. I was reading through the LMDE respin thread (x3, I guess) and heard a lot of mention of wanting different tools for installing and configuring display drivers, a remade backup tool, and a bunch of others that sound great!

I've been considering installing LMDE because it sounds like a sexier, easier, Debian, but I was wondering if the changes made in the next respin would be back ported (I guess) to the current version up? I understand that libraries and apps are continuously updated but couldn't find a definitive answer as to whether the tools would be. If not, would I just be better off waiting for the respin?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gotjazz

Re: Will changes be available for already installed systems?

Post by gotjazz »

well completely new tools would surely pop up in the main meta package. so if you haven't removed that they'd appear. Although I'd hold my excitement about new tools atm - the thread you mentioned is atm just about bouncing around ideas. At least I can't remember having read anything definitive yet....
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Yea, admittedly I just skipped around and maybe got a little over enthusiastic about it.

My Lucid installation is feeling kind of messed up so I need a change and I think Debian is it. Either that or Arch at this point I think, and I've become so used to .debs I don't know if I want to ween myself off of it just yet.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I think you can feel confident that you will get all the new stuff via updates if you choose to install LMDE now. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Once you have it installed you don't need to worry about a new installer. It's a rolling release, so if you just do the updates regularly you'll have the newest everything, regardless of what additions are made.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Oh, I forgot to update this. I took the plunge and am having a blast! A bunch of little niggles to work out, but that's just it. Small niggles. Can't ask for more.

Return to “LMDE Archive”