Window Snapping

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
iuliuscezar

Window Snapping

Post by iuliuscezar »

Has anyone managed to make the window snapping function work in LMDE?
I've installed compiz fusion and the extras from synaptic and I'm running metacity as the default window manager.I've followed the steps presented in the ubuntu tutorial: http://www.clickonf5.org/linux/use-aero ... buntu/6956.I think these should work but unfortunately it seems that metacity does not allow me to snap them.What I mean is,the mouse gesture doesn't work and the keyboard combination just states that :Metacity-An error has occured.
I uninstalled metacity and installed it back and now it won't even give me the message.

The snap feature does work with the top of the screen though :) .I've no idea why.It's the right and left sides that don't work.
Does anyone have ideas why this would be a problem?
I'm running kubuntu on vmware player and it seems KDE has the feature and it works well.

Should I try running the KDE DE on LMDE?I've seen a thread about it but the person didn't state if they actually ran it or just intalled it.I mean,if I do,will it be the same as the Mint KDE I've seen? Or should I install Emerald or Enlightenment?

And another question as I'm unsure:I would like to try the other DE's but I'm afraid of messing up my running OS.Is there a way I can restore it if something goes wrong,short of running it in a Virtual machine?

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KWottrich

Re: Window Snapping

Post by KWottrich »

Same problems. Trying to get window-snapping to work. Running vanilla Linux Mint 10 x64 in VMware on a Windows 7 x64 host. Same vague error from Metacity.
I believe the problem is coming from Mint using Metacity instead of Compiz, though I don't know how to change it. I'm looking for a way to resolve this desperately, since I think this functionality is CRUCIAL. I kind of depend on it, really.
danger89

Post by danger89 »

Same problem with LMDE. I try to fix it..

command0:
WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x'` && HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,$HALF,-1

command1:
WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x'` && HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,$HALF,0,$HALF,-1

PS. Don't forget to install wmctrl (apt-get install wmctrl).

Strange enough this command DOES work in terminal but not by draging to the edges.

Note:
Drag to the top doesn't work at all. I think you are confused with the window is already fullscreen when you drag it from the border and then back to the top it will work out-of-the-box with GNOME.

Still doesn't work :S It seems that the command doesn't get a trigger.
HeSaid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HeSaid »

Compiz must be running to perform the snapping function.
I use this little script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
compiz --replace
Place it in a file /home/user/compiz
Go to Menu > preferencec > start applications, add /home/user/compiz to the auto start list.
That will make compiz the default window manager when you log in. You can set the compiz features in the Control Center.
--
Neal

Return to “LMDE Archive”