Can't boot LMD from the burned iso

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
venoom82

Can't boot LMD from the burned iso

Post by venoom82 »

Hi all, I am sort of new to linux. I decided to give a shot to LMD and mainly because i heard tons of good things about debian. I downloaded the Iso file from the website and when i burned it and and restarted to boot the cd it won't boot from it..But when i check what's actually on cd it lists e folders and one file as follows:

Folder: Casper

Folder:Isolinux

File: md5sum (text document)

Now not sure how am i soppsoed to boot from that cd..any other had a bit more files and at least a Boot folder. Not sure how to get this to work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Can't boot LMD from the burned iso

Post by seeley »

Hi venoom82!
Please first read my help (link1 below) and post relevant outputs.
Afterwards you will get an individual answer.
seeley
viking777

Post by viking777 »

venoom82 wrote:Hi all, I am sort of new to linux. I decided to give a shot to LMD and mainly because i heard tons of good things about debian. I downloaded the Iso file from the website and when i burned it and and restarted to boot the cd it won't boot from it..But when i check what's actually on cd it lists e folders and one file as follows:

Folder: Casper

Folder:Isolinux

File: md5sum (text document)

Now not sure how am i soppsoed to boot from that cd..any other had a bit more files and at least a Boot folder. Not sure how to get this to work.
Does seem a bit minimal doesn't it but no, that is correct, that is all it should have on it (or at least that is all that mine has on it and it boots fine).

As to why yours doesn't that is a different matter. Do you get the chance to boot into compatibility mode? If so give that a go.
venoom82

Post by venoom82 »

Thanks guys.. I figured it out why it would not boot. Apperently the boot sequance was set up wrong. Anyhow i booted LMD and it started loading afgter a while the screen just went pitch balck..like there was no connection between the monitor and graphics card... It just stays there putch black.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Did you check md5sum after downloading?
You burned with low speed?
And again: please read my help (link1 below).
seeley
venoom82

Post by venoom82 »

I burned the iso again, Well...when i get lucky the screen won't shut off too soon and it loads into the os..but usually shortly after the screen tuns off black again..well it says on the monitor no signal so i am not certain if it's the graphics card or what..i tryed to boot with a command xdrvr=radeon since i am running Radeon HD 5770 and that does not help..
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
As it seems to be a hardware problem, you should search in this forum, Debian Forum and the NET with
...your graphic card, problem and maybe name of the computer...
And the if unsuccessful, open a new thread.
Sorry!
seeley
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

From the sound of it you just have a compatibility video issue that is common. I haven't experienced them so I can't provide guidance on troubleshooting, but this could also be a problem with the CD itself. It was asked previously, but not answered. Did you verify the md5sum of the downloaded iso file against the md5sum listed where you downloaded LMDE from? If there are any errors in the downloaded iso the md5sum output will not match, confirming the errors and making the downloaded file useless. That's a critical first step after downloading an iso and there are directions throughout the forums on how to do check it if on Linux, Windows or Mac. I don't recall seeing what OS you are currently running.

Also, once you confirm the md5sum, you can still have burn issues. It's imperative that you burn as an image, not data, and that you do so at the slowest speed possible on your machine. This prevents errors during the write process.

If you've done all that and still can't boot then I'd lean heavily toward something with the video and search as suggested above for others that overcame the same problem on their machine.

Return to “LMDE Archive”