Celena CD doesn't boot solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Celena CD doesn't boot solved

Post by leo72 »

I downloaded the ISO of Celena and burned it but when I try to start it on my desktop I only get the Grub menu and then this error message appears on the left top:
ISOLINUX: Disk Error 01, AX = 4280, Drive 73
Then the process halts and a dialog window appears asking me to reboot....
The strange thing is that the same CD works fine on my laptop.

I've checked the MD5 sum and it's correct; I've tried to download the ISO from different mirrors and also from torrent; I've used different brands of CDs; I've burned the ISO using the minimum speed allowed (4x); I've tried to use that CD with my old CD-writer instead of my DVD-writer but nothing changed....

I get that error every time!

(P.S.:
Cassandra was installed on the same system using a CD found with a magazine: I didn't burn it myself.... Maybe are there some errors on the online ISO?)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

isolinux is a Linux boot loader (http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php).
It is responsible for getting the Linux kernel and initrd images off the CD. Once it's done that, it hands over control to the Linux kernel, and stops running. The kernel is what detects your hard drives.
So an isolinux disk error message is an error message about the CD disk or drive.
Now your CD works fine on another computer and your drive works fine with another disc - kinda contradictory :)
But you say you get the grub menu - you should not get the grub menu when booting from a CD. So if you really get the grub menu and not the menu from the CD you have some hardware error, or maybe this particular disc isn't happy with your CD drive
There is nothing wrong with the ISOs available for downloading (unless they've been hacked and I doubt that)
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Thanks for your reply. I know that this problem is contradictory but what I wrote is the real facts...

I burn the ISO and I'm _sure_ that:
1) the ISO is good (the MD5 sum is correct);
2) the CD is burned correctly (it works on another computer);
3) the CD- and DVD-writers work correctly (I've burned a lot of Linux images in the last months, looking for a good alternative to my old Suse and everyone worked correctly);
4) my system work fine because Cassandra was installed by CD.

Now, let me clarify a point: when I wrote that I got the Grub menu, I meant the Celena live-CD menu. I'm not sure is that is based on Grub or is always the ISOLinux menu...
I just know that I see the new green graphics and logo on the top part of the screen...
Husse

Post by Husse »

At least I've found out something
One person suggests
setting in your BIOS Drive A from "None" to "1.44MB floppy drive" even if you don't really have one physically installed on your machine.
This makes some sense as the error has to do with disc operations.....
In another post I read that it was caused by an image in the boot process with errors
But it could also be the kernel (on the live cd) that does not support your hardware
Please post what you have; above all motherboard (as much detail as you can) brand/model of CD player
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

I'll try as quick as I can (now I'm not at home...)...
Maybe this could be the right way because I remember that everytime that I tried to boot Celena live-CD I saw that the floppy led lighted on for several seconds...
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Test failed! :cry:
I've tried to disable by BIOS my floppy... I've tried to change the sequence of booting (CD, HD, floppy in several mixes), I've tried a lot of things but Celen doesnt' want to start!
During my tests, I've found that the problem, IMHO, is really related to the floppy drive, because if I disable it by BIOS, the boot menu freezes with only 2/3 of it (only the top part of the graphic logo and the 3 voices in the middle; no options on the bottom); if I enable my floppy drive, I get the annoying error... but always with only 2/3 of the boot menu (I don't get the bottom options and the graphic logo seems cutted just before the middle voices)....

My hardware:
- M/B Albatron KS600 Pro rev. 1.10 - BIOS 08/10/2003 (the latest)
- chipset KT600+VT8237
- CPU AMD Athlon XP 2600+
- 1 GB RAM
- 3 HDDs EIDE
- 1 DVD-writer
- 1 floppy device
- 1 Nvidia Geforce FX5900xt

My EIDE drives are divided as below:
1st channel - master:
57.8 GB Windows C: (NTFS)
18.5 GB Windows E: (NTFS)

1st channel - slave:
DVD-writer (Iomega)

2nd channel - master:
97.8 GB /home (XFS)
101.9 MB /boot (EXT2)
1.0 GB swap
53.7 GB / (XFS)

2nd channel - slave
14.2 GB Windows D: (NTFS)
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is a long shot, but may help
Some CD/DVD writers does not like being slave. If you can - test it as master - don't forget to change the writer to master and put it alone on a cable and see what happens
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Ok. I'll try that... but what about the regular installations of other OSs? Mint 3.0 didn't get me this problem... nor other Linux flavours...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah....what could I say...the mysteries of computing...
The explanation for such experiences (apart from that something broke) is that somewhere in some way things go "just on the margin" and the failing "whatever" is on the wrong side
Very vague I know but think about it, and I have experienced this many times - it works and then you try almost the same - or the same - and it does not work..
And check that cables haven't come loose first - it's more common than you think with cables that are not quite in place - and it works, until....
Not to talk of video cards not entirely inserted....
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

No, it didn't work...

I'm very hangry because I cannot understand why ALL other live-CDs work fine and this one not!!!
Today I've tried it on a PC older than mine and it worked...

I'll try to upgrade to Celena via internet and/or maybe I'll try to use a live-CD coming with any PC magazine...
Thanks for your help...
I think I will write to developers to notify this issue that I repute a problem/bug.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=47526

Basically, I would try to burn the ISO on another computer, with a different CD writer and using the Gnome right-click "write to disc" feature.

Clem
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

In my personal "quest for booting" yesterday I've tried LinuxMint Light... same error!
But an idea started to grow up in my mind: what about CD-RW and CD-R???
Until now I've only used rewritable disks.... could this be the matter? What kind of media do you usually use?
Husse

Post by Husse »

RW can definitely be a problem - they are generally not quite as "readable"
I've encountered problems several times that disappeared when I switched from RW to R
I use both, but I have good media and new burners for DVD
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

I didn't try with CD-Rs...
I used an USB pen drive so I've been able to install Celena on my system... :roll:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome in the club!
I use CD-R but DVD-RW just because I found good quality in a sale
I had a CD-RW that in the end was unreadable
The quality gets to low for the ECC to compensate and maybe all is unreadable....
As to why it sometimes works and sometimes not, well.....
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:Welcome in the club!
I use CD-R but DVD-RW just because I found good quality in a sale
I had a CD-RW that in the end was unreadable
The quality gets to low for the ECC to compensate and maybe all is unreadable....
As to why it sometimes works and sometimes not, well.....
I'll echo what Husse said here with CD-RWs. I even posted somewhere in one of these forums. I've had very bad luck using CD-RWs.

I have also, on occasion had trouble with CD-Rs, but I removed the CD, polished the back with a soft cloth, and it took off. Coincidence perhaps, but it has worked more than once.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

I burned the disk on different machines: using my LinuxMint 3.0 on the same desktop where I've tried to install LM 3.1 and on my Suse 10.2 laptop and both failed to start giving me the same error...
But I've noticed one thing: every time that I reboot my Win'XP I get an error concerning a couple of unrecognized disks: hda and hdc!!! The same devices that I have on Linux!
Maybe is there a connection between your problem and mine?
But I still contine to not understand why ONLY LinuxMint burned by myself gives me this error: EVERY other Live-CD that I've found with magazines or burned by myself (like Ubuntu 7.04, Mandriva 2007.1, Fedora 7, BackTrack 2, Sabayon, DreamLinux, PCLinuxOS, etc...) work perfectly.... :shock:
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

P.S.:
if the issue depends by the buggy partitions, it still remains unclear how, on my machine, the USB pen with LM 3.1 boots without problems :?
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

I'm afraid but I need to reopen this thread because yesterday I tried to installa Daryna and got the same error above...

But on the same PC I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 a couple of weeks ago so I begin to think that there should be something related to the ISOs of Mint introduced since Celena that makes my system hangs with this error (because any version of Ubuntu since 6.06 installs quite well on the same hardware).

Another proble: I've also tried to install Mint 4.0 using my USB pen but, after a regular start of the process (splashscreen, look at the advanced options, loading of vmlinuz and initrd) the process halted after a couple of minutes with this screen:

BusyBox v.1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in Shell (Ash) ....etc...

And a prompt from ramdiskfs... :?:
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Celena CD doesn't boot

Post by 67GTA »

isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 4280, drive 73 (at first live cd boot menu)

Same here again. I have quit using Mint because of this error. I started getting this error with Celena, and now with Daryna. Something has happened since Celena to cause this error on certain PC's. I have never had this problem with any other distro. It has to be something that happens during the remastering, because Ubuntu, Mepis, Freespire and a couple other Ubuntu based cd's boot fine. I really hope someone can figure this bug out.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Installation & Boot”