User permissions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

User permissions

Post by ambertone »

Hi all,

I'm trying to change the Thunderbird icon from the default brown envelope to the proper Thunderbird icon. Changing an icon to another icon in the icon folder is no problem BUT:

I want to copy the new icon into the icon folder: User/ share/ pixmaps but I get an error message:

Error while copying to user/ share/ pixmaps.
You do not have permissions to write to this folder.

Any idea on how I get permission?

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Sorry, whats a "Nautilus"?

Rod
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:Sorry, whats a "Nautilus"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus_% ... manager%29
http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/screenshots.html

It's named after this animal:
Don't try to install this on your Linux desktop ... :lol:
Last edited by scorp123 on Thu May 20, 2010 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr.U »

ambertone wrote:Sorry, whats a "Nautilus"?

Rod
To find out some about nautilus, open a terminal and type: man nautilus

You can scroll in this window with the "Page Up" / "Page Down" and the "Up Arrow" / "Down Arrow" keys. When you are finished reading press the letter "Q" key.

The short answer is that nautilus is what your computer uses as its file manager if you are using the Gnome desktop (which you probably are). Just do as advised and be sure not to change, delete or move any other files than your icon file (unless you know what you are doing). As soon as you are finished moving the icon file, close the Nautilus window (to get out of the Administrator mode and thereby out of thedanger that you might damage your system).

Regards,
-- Dr.U
npap
Level 6
Level 6

User permissions

Post by npap »

Hello scorp123,

Your humor is great! We need some of it every day here in the forum.

You seem to be pretty good with graphics. Why not give us some tips on the subject in the Tips and Tricks?

But for those who really want to know what Nautilus really is, here are some facts:
Julius Vern's 20 Thousand Leaques Under the Sea is the science fiction story which predicted the invention of the submarine. And Nautilus was the submarine used by captain Nemo to navigate the sea floor.
A great story for grown up kids, I think.

Greetings,
npap
P,S. I did save your nice photo, by the way.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: User permissions

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:P,S. I did save your nice photo, by the way.
That's from Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

That looks like my ex mother in law a little *LOL*

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

OK, I read the manual.

I opened a terminal and typed "--browser" and got "command not found"?

Any ideas?

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Dr U. Sind sie Deutche?

Rod
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:OK, I read the manual.

I opened a terminal and typed "--browser" and got "command not found"
The command is nautilus --browser ... not --browser. And why don't you just open it from the menus? Point and click, and voila, it's there. Linux isn't that complicated you know :lol:

Places ==> Home Folder
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr.U »

ambertone wrote:Dr U. Sind sie Deutche?

Rod
Nein. Aber seit
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Dr U: Ich verstehe. Ich bin ein student mit Deutsches zu sprechen.

Rod
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

scorp123 wrote:
Hello scorp123,
Please accept my apologies for the remark I made on the definition of Nautilus.

The question of someone in the forum about Nautilus was not clear if it had to do with the meaning of the word or the Nautilus browser.

Since I didn't know that a nautilus is a sea snail, and your picture of it together with the remark "This is nautilus", sounded to me like good humor, which we all need sometimes.
After all, it is funny to refer to the Gnome file browser, a navigator, as a 'nautilus', don't you think?
It was a misfortune to name the software after a snail (not a very fast navigator).

Yes, your reference to Wikipedia was helpful. Now I know what a real nautilus is.
But if I'm not mistaken, Jules Verne named 'Nautilus' his submarine in his science fiction story titled '20 Thousand Leaques Under The Sea'. Please,correct me if I'm wrong.
By the way, you may want to check the Wikipedia for 'Captain Nemo'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/captain nemo

The word comes from Greek 'naufs', pronounced 'nafs', which means a boat, and 'nautis' in modern Greek is a sailor. 'Nautilos' is also a seaman, in the older language.

Oh, what the heck! This is all Greek. Who wants to bother with it!

Best regards,
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

scorp123 wrote:
Hello scorp123,
Please accept my apologies for the remark I made on the definition of Nautilus.

The question of someone in the forum about Nautilus was not clear if it had to do with the meaning of the word or the Nautilus browser.

Since I didn't know that a nautilus is a sea snail, and your picture of it together with the remark "This is nautilus", sounded to me like good humor, which we all need sometimes.
After all, it is funny to refer to the Gnome file browser, a navigator, as a 'nautilus', don't you think?
It was a misfortune to name the software after a snail (not a very fast navigator).

Yes, your reference to Wikipedia was helpful. Now I know what a real nautilus is.
But if I'm not mistaken, Jules Verne named 'Nautilus' his submarine in his science fiction story titled '20 Thousand Leaques Under The Sea'. Please,correct me if I'm wrong.
By the way, you may want to check the Wikipedia for 'Captain Nemo'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_ Nemo

The word comes from Greek 'naufs', pronounced 'nafs', which means a boat, and 'nautis' in modern Greek is a sailor. 'Nautilos' is also a seaman, in the older language.

Oh, what the heck! This is all Greek. Who wants to bother with it!

Best regards,
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

'20 Thousand Leaques Under The Sea'. Please,correct me if I'm wrong
20,000 leaks under the sea :lol:

Clem,
sorry.. couldn't resist.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote: Please accept my apologies for the remark I made on the definition of Nautilus.
No no no no, it's OK :lol: It really was a joke when I said "Don't try to install this [Nautilus] on your desktop ... " :lol:
npap wrote: Since I didn't know that a nautilus is a sea snail
It's not really a snail, it's rather some very ancient form of octopus (enenintapus? It has up to 90 tentacles, not 8! What's 90 in Greek? ενενήντα right?) that has survived up to this day. This animal is sometimes called a "living fossile" because this species already exists ~500 million years. 8)
npap wrote: sounded to me like good humor, which we all need sometimes.
Well as I said ... don't try to install one on your Linux desktop :lol: :lol: :lol: It has 90 or so tentacles and if it grabs your keyboard you're in trouble :lol:

I wonder if we can teach those things some C??? With 90 tentacles they would be one hell of super-fast programmers :lol:
npap wrote: After all, it is funny to refer to the Gnome file browser, a navigator, as a 'nautilus', don't you think?
But that's exactly the correlation here ... a real Nautilus navigates the Sea, and the Nautilus file manager navigates your file systems. All in all I find "Nautilus" as name for a file manager much much nicer than "Explorer" (do you really need to be Indiana Jones in order to have the courage to even look at a Windows file system?? :lol: ) or "Finder" (how bad can a system be if stuff gets lost first? I mean ... in order to find something you have to lose it first, right? :lol: ). Also "Konqueror" sounds so aggressive ... "Tomb Raider" might have been a sexier name :lol: .. finding all the hidden treasures of your file system + looking good at doing some work 8)
npap wrote: The word comes from Greek 'naufs', pronounced 'nafs', which means a boat, and 'nautis' in modern Greek is a sailor. 'Nautilos' is also a seaman, in the older language.
Yes, the Latin words "navis" = ship and "nauta" = sailor are related with this too. :D
npap wrote: Oh, what the heck! This is all Greek. Who wants to bother with it!
Me! :lol: I sometimes really regret for not having learned classic old Greek in school. It is said that this language is one of the most structured and logic languages that ever existed, even more than Latin. And Latin already had some interesting features, e.g. that you could litterally exchange the word order of any sentence any way you wished: it would still keep its original meaning 8) ... Try that with English or with C++ and you're in for some trouble :lol:

Regards!
scorp123
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Octopuses are characterized by their eight arms (not tentacles)
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

By the way.. did you notice iPods don't have legs?

Clem,
trying to make his way into the fortune database.. :lol:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

User permissions

Post by npap »

OK fellows.

Thanks for an interesting, educational and amusing conversation. Perhaps, there ought to be a heading called 'Amusement' or something to that effect.

We all have a need to get away from reality at times and enjoy a good laugh. I
really head a good laugh with Clem's add on: 'Twenty Thousand Leaks Under The Sea'
As for sorp123, I think he is very good with humor besides the computer stuff.

Since this a Users' Permissions topic, it allows me to feel free to post another joke that came to my mind:

Kids' conversation
"My Dad got me a new mouse that's got no tail"
" Gee! Tell him he got a broken one" I got one that's got a tail and two tenticles, too" .
All in good and clean humor.
Best regards,
Don
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

npap wrote: Oh, what the heck! This is all Greek. Who wants to bother with it!

Me! :lol: I sometimes really regret for not having learned classic old Greek in school. It is said that this language is one of the most structured and logic languages that ever existed, even more than Latin. And Latin already had some interesting features, e.g. that you could litterally exchange the word order of any sentence any way you wished: it would still keep its original meaning 8) ... Try that with English or with C++ and you're in for some trouble :lol:

Regards!
scorp123[/quote]

Hi scorp123,
Glad to hear that somebody would appreciate mastering ancient Greek and Latin. I had both in high school.
But to tell you the truth, I don't think I was very good at either one. The expression 'It's all Greek to me' is not really a joke.
Greek is just as hard to master as mathematics. You have to take a real interest in both, to begin with.

Whatever I know about Greek philosophers, for example, I got it from books written in English.

Regards,
Don

Return to “Other topics”