LMDE Chaos Theory!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: LMDE Chaos Theory!

Post by zerozero »

well i do saw sentences here very similar to the ones i copied from the aptosid forum. I can go back and pick each one, but the thread is open to everyone's reading.
And it's not even your previous post Rifester, because that one, i think is balanced :)
I never hid i made the switch to sid, but at the same time, when i can i advice caution and a few simple rules one shouldn't break to preserve his/her system.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

sgosnell wrote:I'll bet that the percentage of users who maintain a stock LMDE system approaches zero. As soon as you add a package, any package, your system is different, and everybody adds packages. Insisting on maintaining a stock LMDE system as a prerequisite for asking for help with a problem is breathtakingly arrogant and elitist. If LMDE can't handle changes, then it's simply not a viable distro, and if the forums can't help people with problems unless they have a completely stock install, then they're essentially worthless. I don't want to see that.
I definitely have to +1 this opinion. In reading through our forums countless times each day, I find very, very few posts from LMDE users who are using a "stock" system. We all have our kernels that we need or prefer, and an infinite number of packages that add to or take away from the original LMDE configuration. The really good news is that our Mint community is comprised of a huge number of remarkably kind and helpful individuals from around the world who enjoy spending their free time helping others. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Stock LMDE :lol: ha! I've done so much experimenting with it learning Linux that I recon on average I've re-installed from the live disk about once a day since it was released :oops:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm stock LMDE with just one deviation...Current Google Chrome Stable downloaded from their deb and will be updated from google directly of course...I don't mind running with the older versions of programs debian provides but Chrome (which is my favorite browser) is the ONLY program that i insist on the most current version with whatever improvements and features it offers...and the Chromium they provide is way behind what i am running in Chrome...

And i plan to stay stock..pointed at debian testing...as it set up to do :wink:

Other then the "Chrome" aspect...I'll take it EXACTLY as it is :lol:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Reading through this thread,

1) I agree that having a statement that LMDE is based on Debian testing should be clearly posted. As a matter of fact it is listed as so on the downloads homepage.
Introduction to LMDE

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
2) It would be extremely useful for people requesting help to give notice of any changes to the "stock" LMDE: kernel installs, PPAs, debs, sources added, etc.

However, I think reality will be closer to
A) LMDE will still be installed by people as their first linux intall
B) Some of the LMDE installations will be by those afraid, reluctant, or unwilling to use the command line. Some will be new linuxers, some will have changed from mainline Mint or Ubuntu.
C) Posters with questions/problems are going to ignore anything suggested along the lines of forum rules saying they should post version, edition, hardware info, and what they have tried. Does anyone expect this to change for the better? {This is the old "My car is green. It won't run." type of post}
D) We will continue to assist all of the above people. Although I admit at times to, depending on my mood at the moment, either skipping posts of type C until they provide more info or simply saying they should provide more info as per the red/pink box above their original post. At other times I will dive in based on what they have provided.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Yeah, LMDE will not change human nature this week, or next year. Making rules about posting won't change anything. I help clueless posters or not depending on my mood and how much time I have available. What does make me reluctant to start helping is a post that uses IM shorthand and no punctuation or capitalization. They're just too hard to read through, and I ignore them almost every time. Posters who obviously aren't fluent in English don't bother me at all, it's the kiddies trying to be cute, or displaying a complete lack of education that I refuse to reply to.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You are quite right sgosnell neither rules not pleading will alter human nature. The 'my car is green' posts (I like that :) ) will continue to arrive, they will just be even more complicated to unravel than usual because half of the folks posting them won't even be using the distro they claim to be using :( .

Let us be very clear here, if you have ever run a couple of the debian varieties side by side, which I have, they are very, very different (OK the differences are lessened by the present 'deep freeze' but that won't last long). We are not talking here about adding a different browser or a ppa of your choosing, everyone does that and it doesn't mean you have a different distro, but changing repos on LMDE will certainly mean that, at least it will after a month or two. This is the chaos I referred to in the title. This makes the job of people trying to answer these problems doubly difficult. Although it looks as if we just have to put up with that.
premamotion

Post by premamotion »

If the people behind LMDE make the right choices, LMDE will beat Ubuntu, in terms of stability, functionality and responsiveness, and I`m looking forward to see that! Long live the quality distros!
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

I hadn't a clue what a PPA was :oops: so I searched and thought I'd add a link to explanation HERE :mrgreen:
What is this PPA all about? Well, PPA stands for Personal Package Archives and this is it. Packages provided by my repository are unofficial, may be risky when used and can break your system, so you are using them at your own risk. As well as I am.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

GSXR750L wrote:I hadn't a clue what a PPA was :oops: so I searched and thought I'd add a link to explanation HERE :mrgreen:
What is this PPA all about? Well, PPA stands for Personal Package Archives and this is it. Packages provided by my repository are unofficial, may be risky when used and can break your system, so you are using them at your own risk. As well as I am.
That's Hadret's PPA for Debian. I haven't used that, although I've used Backports in Debian. When I think of PPAs I normally think of Ubuntu PPAs for use in Ubuntu and derivatives:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas

I like Hadret's disclaimer, though!

You might like this article:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-ppa ... explained/
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Thank you MALsPa PPAs obviously mean so much more than I'd assumed. Alas I'm a very SLOW learner and had only taken in the full words for the abbreviation and hadn't thoroughly read or understood. I really do move at best half the speed of anyone else. I thought PPA was a standard function of LMDE but now know a touch more. I suppose it could be all down to the fact I've spent the last two months living in a room at just one degree celcius above freezing, it probably slows everything down a little 8) Still your reply will probably be an eye opener for other readers too :shock: :D
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

Been meaning to respond to this topic so here goes..

There's already CrunchBang (#!), MEPIS, SalineOS/Linux and Dreamlinux based on Stable.Only diff is none are GNOME and Mintified.Aptosid ergo the name are probably the only most prolific Sid based work around but yeah to expect a typical new Mint convert to deal with smxi script for out of x dist-upgrades on top of mainly KDE/XFCE inclinations is just pushing it.It's not that bad really but keeping it in context.Of course better still cut the middleman out and go straight Debian be it Stable, Testing or Sid/Unstable but yes yet again it's not Mintified from the ground up.People just need lay back and understand the significance of LMDE being based on Testing.

To suggest additional spins on Stable or Sid next time around to address the situation seems a bit redundant but hey that's not my call obviously.

I'll settle for LMDE Openbox/XFCE instead :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”