LaTex Installation solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

LaTex Installation solved

Post by Samar »

Hi, I have successfully downloaded LaTex packages through Cassandra but I have no clue how to use it and where to find it in my system. Other downloaded packages like K3B, etc appeared on the menu. Moreover, it seems that package is not installed in my system. Kindly help me so that I can use LaTex in my system. Your guidance will be acknowledged.
Samar
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There are quite a few packages for latex so please describe exactly what you did
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Samar »

I had downloaded all LaTeX written packages other than for cjk from the synaptic package manager of Linux Mint Cassandra GNOME. But I did not find Latex in the menu. Moreover, I have heard of LaTeX only, have not used before (but that would be issue of learning that I hope I can handle it). Kindly help me to install in my system. Thanks for your interest/help and hope that it will continue further.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You write downloaded from synaptic - I believe you mean installed....
Seems that Latex does not add it self to the menu
issue this in a terminal

Code: Select all

which LaTeX
and check for the exact spelling (major/minor letters)
You should be given the path to LaTeX and then be able to make a program launcher in the menu (right click the menu button and select Edit menu)
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Samar »

I tried all as said to figure it out but there is no success. Kindly help me.
Husse

Post by Husse »

So

which LaTex
did not bring any result (and yes - latex and Latex are not the same, so you have to have the right spelling)
If correctly spelled this means it's outside your path (probably anyway)
Try

sudo updatedb
and then

locate -i LaTex
This is the search method I prefer, the -i means it makes a case insensitive search
When you find the location, you can use that knowledge to create a launcher in the menu
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Samar »

I tried my as directed in the reply. but could not figure out anything in the terminal. I think we need to give up the idea to follow from the previous installation. Should I go for reinstalling through the synaptic package manager, if not please let me know where to find deb package to install the same. Kindly continue to guide me.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This gave no result?
Code:
sudo updatedb
and then
Code:
locate -i LaTex
Then you do not have Latex in your system and have to install it
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Samar »

hi,
I have reinstalled Linux Mint Cassandra 3.0 in my desktop (I had to reinstall due to problems in my NTFS partition). I have also installed the following packages of teTex through the synaptic package manager.
tex-base, tex-bin, tex-extra, tex-common, texlive-common and texlive-doc-base.

As directed earlier, I did edit menu and created a launcher from usr/bin-tex. I am still unable to launch the program.

Kindly guide me further so that I can use teTex in my system.
Husse

Post by Husse »

tetex?
Is that a latex variety?
You are inconsistent in what you write and in cases like this it's no good.
If you don't get a menu entry you have to make it yourself as you have realized.
To find out which file to launch there are several commands in a terminal
Note that exact spelling is necessary
which your_application
which firefox gives /usr/bin/firefox
and this is the path to the executable
You can use synaptic to find out lots about anything installed with dpkg (which is anything in synaptic, apt-get and of course dpkg itself)
So if you dont know it get the spelling and use which
You then create a launcher, and start with one on the desktop (just right click)
Name it and use the path you just found out as "Command" If you wish add an icon.
Now you are ready to use the launcher
Then make one in the menu in the same way.....
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Samar »

hi,
Sorry for late reply.
1. Since, I had to reinstall Linux MInt 3.0 as stated in the earlier message, I went through the sites and found that teTex is laTex for Ubuntu/Debian.
2. I have installed the following files of teTex through synaptic package manager:
a. tetex-base
b. tetex-bin
c. tetex-extra
d. tex-common
e. texlive-common
f. texlive-doc-base

3. I tried to create launcher through: edit menu>>>usr/bin/tex. It is not working at all.

4. Do let me know what other files do I require (if at all) to run the program in my system which I am waiting for a long time.

5. Thanks for keeping interest and helping for the same.
Samar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Samar »

I was wondering for weeks about installing Latex (Tetex for .deb users). Husse helped this newbie for a long time. I am thankful to him for his help and guidance (and for etiquette for posting problem in the forum).

Finally, the solution arrives from A. Mani (TUG India) for installing TeTex in Cassandra through synaptic package manager.

1. Simply install Kile or Texmaker and Vim (latex mode). Most of the basic things will get installed automatically.
2. Then you must decide on the language packs (CJK, Arabic, Indic, etc.), fonts and converters like latextohtml, latextortf, etc.
3. The menu entry (Tex) will appear in the menu list.
4. Texlive is better than Tetex.

For the road: I am currently editing&formatting a proceedings volume. It is such a tedious job (especially formatting) that I no longer wonder why people use Tex.

Enjoy tex.

Return to “Software & Applications”