Bea Login problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bea Login problem

Post by npap »

Hello everybody,

I don't know what happened all of a sudden, but at the Login screen the system freezes. I can't even open the terminal.
I got some updates today, including Firefox 2.0.0.1.

The only way to start Bea is to restart the PC and enter into Rescue Mode,
entering the GDM command.

It's strange, but I have the same problem in another disk where I installed Bea today.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Did you change anything in your repositories ?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Bea Login problem

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote:I don't know what happened all of a sudden, but at the Login screen the system freezes.
Does it also happen if you start the Live CD? Then it might be a hardware problem. I once had a loss of electric power here (a lightning had hit a nearby transformator station) and when power came back two of my machines had their RAM damaged ...
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Bea Login

Post by npap »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your tips. My answer to all the questions follows:

1) I did not make any changes in the repository.
2) I did not download Firefox update manually.
3) It does not happen with the live CD.
And strangely enough, the problem has gone away today,
Could it be the weather conditions?
:lol:
P.S. Any tinkering with the system is done on a separate 20 GB disc which I use for testing. If something passes the test, I may consider it as a candidate for a main disc installation.
What I have done lately is the installation of Konqueror on BEA (very useful as a control panel and file browser)
In addition, I have the kicker working right above the bottom Gnome panel.
So, I have the K menu besides the LinuxMint main menu. ( I have done away with the verbal Gnome menu)
They say 'variety is the spice of life' :D
Best regards to all,
npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Bea Login problem

Post by npap »

scorp123 wrote:
npap wrote:I don't know what happened all of a sudden, but at the Login screen the system freezes.
Does it also happen if you start the Live CD? Then it might be a hardware problem. I once had a loss of electric power here (a lightning had hit a nearby transformator station) and when power came back two of my machines had their RAM damaged ...
Hi scorp123,
My problem could be, as you suggested, a hardware defect.
I am still having trouble logging in sometimes, except in rescue mode. and here are my suspicions:
My 17" generic monitor can't accept a resolution higher than 1024x 768.
I have noticed that in Bea as well as in Ubuntu Edgy the default login screen resolution is 1280x1024.
After I get to log in, the screen resolution goes to 1024x768 which I have set as default myself.
Now, the question is: is there a way I can get to the screen resolution config file and edit it to start at the 1024x768 value?

Regards. Don

Return to “Other topics”