Howto: install the native NVIDIA driver on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pythonets

Howto: install the native NVIDIA driver on LMDE

Post by pythonets »

I'm a fool. And my foolish GeForce9600GT video card does not work with a smart stuff like:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
(All these packages are in local repository). Nothing happens after this. The smart nouveau driver is too smart for my bad boy card. We here in Russia have not the coolest cards at all.
So I decided and succeded to install native NVIDIA driver in my LMDE (I used Ubuntu, but now I don't care what the Canonical is striving for - to become Apple-2 of the world with Ubuntu becoming MacOS-2? this is only "imho'). After all, the nouveau driver will be behind NVIDIA's, always.

I hope, this tiny step-by-step guide would help you too.

1. Download the driver installer from
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
(according to your CP and video card).
2. Install the libstdc++5 package.
3. Install the fresh gcc compiler (check in Synaptic that gcc package is installed).
4. Reboot and login as root in console (recover mode).
5. Go to the download directory that contains your downloaded NVIDIA installer.
6. Run the installer as following:
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux...run
where '...' means that you can complete the initial letters NVIDIA-Linux to the full name of installer by pressing Tab key.
7. Enter reboot command:
reboot

Step 6 can be executed twice, because the installer should firstly disable the nouveau driver (then you reboot and repeat step 6). Also you must answer YES to the warning about the cc compiler (in assumption that you have installed the gcc compiler).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ehabreda

Re: How to install the native NVIDIA driver on LMDE

Post by ehabreda »

Hello,

I think that you can simply use SMXI to do all of that and much, much more. :mrgreen:
hasuin

Post by hasuin »

Yesterday I installed the driver for a Nvidia 9500 GT card on LMDE 64x following these instructions :

http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/d ... howto.html

Same driver for your card. It work very nicely.
pythonets

Post by pythonets »

ehabreda wrote:Hello,

I think that you can simply use SMXI to do all of that and much, much more. :mrgreen:
Yes, if you have Internet.
No, if you access Internet via a friend's computer only. Alas.
Nevertheless, thanks for advice. It would be useful some day.

Return to “LMDE Archive”