Former Xandros and PCLinuxOS user here

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fargo

Former Xandros and PCLinuxOS user here

Post by Fargo »

Hi all, I've been really checking out Mint (and MEPIS 11 beta) lately. I really like the fit and finish of Mint (but I like the tools in Mepis). I've never liked Ubuntu based distros, but I am seriously thinking about giving Mint 10 KDE a try when it comes out. Maybe a Debian Edition KDE will follow shortly as well. I started Linux with Xandros 2.0 and I loved it. I played with it quite a bit until 4.0 came out. I was then ready to install Linux on my wifes system. But by that time Xandros had made the Microsoft deal and it was looking like a dead distro. So I started looking for something else. I found PCLinuxOS to be very up to date with a great repository and was a solid reliable distribution. So i went with PCLOS and my wife has been happy with that for the last 2-3 years. But now I am wanting to get back to something Debian based. As mentioned I prefer pure Debian, so I am really looking at Mepis, but Mint really has a nice feel to it. So I am giving it some serious consideration as well. Primarily with the hope that eventually and Debian Mint KDE will be released.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cliste

Re: Former Xandros and PCLinuxOS user here

Post by cliste »

Welcome! :D

If you are interested in seeing LMDE Kde you can install the Gnome version, then install the kde-full package - then you have LM Debian Kde!. I suggest you try that because I don't think there's any plans for a kde edition
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

cliste wrote:Welcome! :D

If you are interested in seeing LMDE Kde you can install the Gnome version, then install the kde-full package - then you have LM Debian Kde!. I suggest you try that because I don't think there's any plans for a kde edition
I have thought about that. But I figured if it was that easy we would see a KDE edition released at the same time as gnome.
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Fargo,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

oscar799 wrote:Hello Fargo,

For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
Wow that sounds very interesting. I am not familiar with IRC channels but it sounds like excellant help can be found here.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I figured if it was that easy we would see a KDE edition released at the same time as gnome.
OTOH, if it was that easy, there would be little point in going to the trouble to release, and host, another edition.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

sgosnell wrote:
I figured if it was that easy we would see a KDE edition released at the same time as gnome.
OTOH, if it was that easy, there would be little point in going to the trouble to release, and host, another edition.
Yeah, but the fact that Mint KDE10 is about 3 months behind the normal Mint10 tells me their is more to it than that.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome Fargo.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Beerdrinker

Post by Beerdrinker »

Hello and welcome!!

What made you decide to leave Xandros? ( I actually bougth it back in 2006 and installed instead of Win XP...Lasted 2 months only..)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Beerdrinker wrote:Hello and welcome!!

What made you decide to leave Xandros? ( I actually bougth it back in 2006 and installed instead of Win XP...Lasted 2 months only..)
Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I never get email notifications to my post. How do I set that up?

Anyway, I never left Xandros, They left me. Actually the reason I moved on was because Xandros appeared to be dead. I didn't want to get everyone in my house started out on a dead OS and then have to convert them to something else again a year later.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well Linux Mint has the Best Support of any distro I have ever tried. You might want to check in your Users Control Panel at the top left of web site.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
ElliveN

Post by ElliveN »

Hi Fargo and welcome

I too started on Xandros, it was pretty, appealing when it came out but it "broke" a coupla times and I went off to Mepis (very good) until a friend suggested PCLOS and that went well till some personnell upheavals and It "Broke" on me twice. This all followed by much thought considerable downloading (including Debian), lotsa trialling and I settled on Mint with Gnome (quite new to me being an old KDE buff) and I have to say that I really believe it to be a quite special distro in all meanings of the word.

As I've got older I have come to realize that the tech things are real important but so are aesthetic values as well. Does it work well...absolutely. user friendly? Yep. Younger family members brainwashed on another very common OS can come home, sit down and start right in easily and be productive real quick.

I could go on blah blahing away but in essence I'm saying like you... been there, done that and arrived. ....and by the way...it has not "Broke" as yet and I've worked through a few upgrades now :-} Welcome again

Return to “Introduce Yourself”