Mint Gnome menu--how to remove Favorites section? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
macias

Mint Gnome menu--how to remove Favorites section? [SOLVED]

Post by macias »

I already found the solution for removing/adding Favorites entries:
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 74&start=0

but now I would like to solve another problem -- how to remove Favorites section entirely. Not this or that entry, but entire section. So, after removing you won't be able to switch between all applications and Favorites, because there will be only all applications.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Linux Mint Gnome menu -- how to remove Favorites section

Post by Aging Technogeek »

This will not remove the Favorites section, but it will stop the automatic display of Favorites when the menu is opened.

Right click on the Menu icon and select Preferences from the pop up menu. Open the Options tab and remove the check mark before "Always start with Favorites pane".
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Hi macias
you might find this post helpful using the standard Gnome Main Menu or you could add the Gnome Menu Bar (Ubuntu type)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56449
macias

Post by macias »

@ukbrian

Thank you, but I would like to simply switch off single section, not change the look&feel of the entire menu.

@Aging

Thank you very much!!! It is almost a solution to the problem, however this option (as its label says) switches sections _initially_. Meaning, if user accidentally switch to Favorites, and close the menu, on next opening she/he would see Favorites again, not Applications.

My point of wishing to removing Favorites is to see Applications each time the menu is opened. So either Favorites could be removed, or hidden each time menu is opened.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I don't think you can configure that menu the way you want but you might find a theme(layout) that you like with https://launchpad.net/gnomenu
It has themes to look like XP/Vista and a lot of other layouts.
macias

Re: Mint Gnome menu--how to remove Favorites section? [SOLVE

Post by macias »

Thank you very much for the link. I will try it too.

But I found the solution, or rather an ugly workaround, but it works -- in order to keep Applications showing up first, one has to turn off Favorites as initial section and remove all (!) entries from Favorites.

This way, every time you open Mint Menu it will show Applications section.
ukbrian

Re: Mint Gnome menu--how to remove Favorites section? [SOLVE

Post by ukbrian »

Glad you found an answer, if it works for you don't knock it. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”