OpenSUSE 10.3 - Quick Review

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

OpenSUSE 10.3 - Quick Review

Post by clem »

Again, the purpose of this post is not to give a review of OpenSUSE 10.3 but to identify what we can learn from it and to get ideas on how to improve Linux Mint.

So I would have a lot of comments about it if I was to review it, but as learning from it goes, here are the few things I think we should consider:

- Replace the Window borders we use by default with Gilouche. Window borders look much better in OpenSUSE 10.3 than they do in Celena, and the Gilouche borders integrate very well with our Murrina theme. This would give Daryna a more professional look.

- Add "recent documents" into mintMenu. Maybe not visible by default, but with a link to it (the same way you can click on "favorite" or "all applications", we could have a link to "recent documents".

- Make users more aware of mintInstall and the software portal. The Suse one-click install is not particularly good compared to our solution but its presence is made clear to the user whereas a lot of mint users are not always aware that they can use the portal.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 - Quick Review

Post by kanishka »

clem wrote:- Replace the Window borders we use by default with Gilouche. Window borders look much better in OpenSUSE 10.3 than they do in Celena, and the Gilouche borders integrate very well with our Murrina theme.
I agree. I like Gilouche very much.
And, would it be possibile to use maty's MurrinaGreen theme by default? Its panels are perfect for Mint!
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5408
- Add "recent documents" into mintMenu. Maybe not visible by default, but with a link to it (the same way you can click on "favorite" or "all applications", we could have a link to "recent documents".

It would be a nice touch!
- Make users more aware of mintInstall and the software portal.
I absolutely agree. This is very important IMHO; people have to see that Mint is really innovative, and not just Ubuntu+codecs.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I think you are talking about my theme MurineGreen.
That's ok, I don't mind the mix up. :)
Here is the link
Looks even better with this wallpaper.
Not sure where the Gnome wallpaper of this went to.

Here is an image of the new Gilouche windows borders. Click image to Enlarge:
I do like how more rounded it looks.
Here are more screenshots.
I might test it later. http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1286
dracorX

what we could learn...

Post by dracorX »

Something, we could really learn of them: they have ported yast to gtk, so it's now available to both desktops. We should have that too... kde mint tools

Another thing is that though the splash screen is nice artwork, it's too shiny. If you look at suse, it's much more decent and unobtrusive

Return to “Chat about Linux”