Meta packages for Flux, xfce, etc

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
phin586

Meta packages for Flux, xfce, etc

Post by phin586 »

I would like to request meta packages or a package list for the flux, xfce and kde versions of linux mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ShexNivis

Re: Meta packages for Flux, xfce, etc

Post by ShexNivis »

A good place to start looking for it is: http://wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Everything Mint, including the source code . . enjoy.

http://packages.linuxmint.com/#7community
phin586

Post by phin586 »

What I mean is that i would like for the LMDE team to provide different meta packages to allow for different DE/WM installs, like how the main distro is.

This way im not stuck with the default gnome. Yes i know its easy to change and configure, but to be honest, I really like the linuxmint fluxbox defaults. If i could have that with the Debian base, out the box, that would be fantastic.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I would also like a Linux Mint Fluxbox metapackage for Debian.

Instead of trying to use Ubuntu packages on Debian, or generic Fluxbox packages.
phin586

Post by phin586 »

any word on this?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

The packages are already in Synaptic Pkg. Mgr. Just install LMDE and connect to the Internet and download/install them. That's how I got Xfce and here is Fuxbox:
Screenshot-Synaptic Package Manager .png
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Yes you have Xfce but it is not Mint Xfce
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

jeffreyC wrote:Yes you have Xfce but it is not Mint Xfce
No, it's Debian Xfce. See the little curl next to the Fluxbox in the menu?
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The point that the original poster (and I) are trying to make is that we like the way Linux Mint sets up Fluxbox etc. and would like to use that on Debian.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

jeffreyC wrote:The point that the original poster (and I) are trying to make is that we like the way Linux Mint sets up Fluxbox etc. and would like to use that on Debian.
Point taken, BUT, have you tried Debian Fluxbox on LMDE?
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I have tried Debian Fluxbox on Debian but not LMDE
phin586

Post by phin586 »

It's the same. The point is that I LOVE the default configs of each of the LMDE desktops. I would like to be able to install a meta package that will give me that out of box experience.

I already am fully aware of the default debian packages.

Anyway, I'm still interested in this. I don't see how it could be that hard to do.
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

phin586 wrote:It's the same. The point is that I LOVE the default configs of each of the LMDE desktops. I would like to be able to install a meta package that will give me that out of box experience.

I already am fully aware of the default debian packages.

Anyway, I'm still interested in this. I don't see how it could be that hard to do.
To give you an idea of how hard it is, check out the steps Merlwiz goes through to create Mint 10 Xfce which he has on hold due to his accident:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20

Consider taking Linux Mint Debian Edition and removing all that makes it Gnome and adding not only the Xfce, but the Mint menus that might make a difference between mint gnome and mint Xfce. Set up the packages, (Merlwiz has his own Pkg Mgr) create the .iso and then make it work.

PS: Good luck!

Return to “LMDE Archive”