Are there some files missing in Synaptic?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Are there some files missing in Synaptic?

Post by WinXpNewb »

I'm a new user who doesn't know yet how to compile so I was downloading all my programs through synaptic and I noticed that both gpodder and mermaid-pyqt are missing in Synaptic in Celena

Is this normal for Synaptic to remove programs every new upgrade? I think many of the fps games like Alien Arena are also missing.

I'm not sure because I screwed up installing Mint. I installed the Nvidia drivers in Envy and it booted me into the non-graphical terminal and I had to remove envy through there and I'm not sure I wrote the right command to erase /usr/share/envy and then I clicked 6 which removes all the nvidia drivers rather than 2 and then pressed 1.

It looks to boot ok and the 2 don't appear to be related but again, I'm not sure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

Yes, but I also tried it in apt and no luck. In Cassandra, I don't remember adding any repository because I don't know how to and the programs were there.

I remember because I didn't know how to upgrade to the latest version of gpodder when synaptic wouldn't show the new version in mark as upgrade.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I return to this topic.

WinXpNewb don't forget also that in Celena "The backports and proposed repositories will be disabled so even if you actually upgrade manually" (http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=54)

So if the programs which you wish are there you will not find them. :wink:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

When I first read that post, I thought only the update manager would disappear. At first, I was worried but I tried removing the update manager in Cassandra through synaptic when it was bothering me and I didn't feel Mint get invaded by hordes of viruses.

I thought that was the only change in Celena so I switched to it.

How come the repositories were also disabled? and after rereading all the new post in that blog, should I have a firewall/antivirus installed in Mint to make sure it's secure because I'm not getting updates?
Exakun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exakun »

WinXpNewb,

There is almost no need to install an antivirus in linux (the only time would be if you are planning to use it as a web server and you want to make sure the files are free from malware that would affect other less fortunate operating systems).

As for the rest of your problem, I don't really know how to help... sorry :(
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

I'm sorry, I should've clarified. I read and heard many of the arguments against using an antivirus/firewall for Linux but the comments section from that blog post have so many users against the updates. Some questioning the security of Mint that I really don't know what else to ask.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

WinXPNewb, lets have a realistic look:
Don't worry about anti-virus unless you want to download stuff for passing on to Windows-users. Virus affects them, not us.

A firewall does make sense, even with Linux being unendlessly safer by design. Its all about being on the safe side, although you probably won't ever need it. I have never heard of a Linux user really needing it on a desktop.

But consider this: Even in Linux it is good practise to have a copy of your own files (letters, bills...) outside of your box. Should your box ever get messed up, get stolen, blow up or get attacked by virus, your stuff is not lost. Remember how quick and easy it is to install Mint? Reinstall is even quicker, and you just add you own files and you are back with a running system in no time. Don't worry, be happy with Linux. But thats just my personal opinion after four years of Linux at home, and almost 15 or so of Windows at work.
Helmut
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

Thanks Helmut but that still doesn't explain the security concerns addressed by people who are against the lack of update manager in Mint Celena.

Return to “Beginner Questions”