Nautilus LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GSXR750L

Nautilus LMDE

Post by GSXR750L »

Is there a "What Is" or a "How To" for Nautilus anywhere. I see it mentioned here and there and glanced at the Wikipedia explanation and have opened it up from the Mint Menu, but I'm still at a loss as to what its actually for. Do I need it or is it just another way to do things that can easily be done without it. Would it be an idea to have a Nautilus How To, I couldn't find much with the forum search. Sorry if I'm missing the obvious but I do find "Teach Myself" very difficult, I'm a BIT SLOW :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave68

Re: Nautilus LMDE

Post by Dave68 »

Nautilus is the Gui you use to navigate your File System with, similar to Windows Explorer.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it:
Nautilus is the official file manager for the GNOME desktop. The name is a play on words, evoking the shell of a nautilus to represent an operating system shell. Nautilus replaced Midnight Commander in GNOME 1.4 and was the default from version 2.0 onwards.
Hope This Helps,
Dave
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

GSXR750L wrote:Is there a "What Is" or a "How To" for Nautilus anywhere. I see it mentioned here and there and glanced at the Wikipedia explanation and have opened it up from the Mint Menu, but I'm still at a loss as to what its actually for.
You are kidding, right
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus_(file_manager)
  • Nautilus is the official file manager for the GNOME desktop. The name is a play on words, evoking the shell of a nautilus to represent an operating system shell. Nautilus replaced Midnight Commander in GNOME 1.4 and was the default from version 2.0 onwards.
--any other mention of a nautilus, such as captain Nemo or a shellfish obviously would have nothing to do with a computer OS.

By the way, there are probably better file managers available, with better search/aggregating capabilities, such as midnight commander or Gnome commander or the xtree derivatives such as ytree
http://www.midnight-commander.org/
http://www.han.de/~werner/ytree.html
http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/

Others, list of file managers Linux..
http://maketecheasier.com/linux-file-ma ... 2010/04/29
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

I'm so sorry Dave68 and DrHu, I must go and stick my head in a bucket of ice cold water. I think I've completely lost the plot :lol:

Honest I had looked in Wikipedia as it says in my previous, what I was looking for was an answer something like, "What is the Browser?" well if you click on the browser icon, a window opens up, and you can see things on the Internet. CALM DOWN, calm down, you see its so long since I used Windows that I can't remember what Windows Explorer is even. BUT if I want to look at a file or Folder I always start on the desktop with the "Computer Icon" then "File System" and just keep opening Folders until I get to what I'm looking for. HOLD ON don't run away to quickly, at least stop crying! Right in LMDE if I open Nautilus it looks Quite a complicated affair and seems to do a lot. Now usually I just click away on every link, image, icon, word or what ever until I accidentally find out what things do. You see most people have friends who can show them things first time round OR they are normal and don't have too much difficulty teaching themselves anything. Me when I get the hang of things I'm away but its those first few steps I find extremely hard. SO I was wondering if there was a simple IDIOTS guide to Nautilus for the STUPID like me. WOA, you still here, I do apologize. I promise now to go away and READ, I might LEARN. :P
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

uhm it works pretty much the same way as ecplorer on windows.
file browser= the thingy that let's you see where your files are

click on any directory in "places" - nautilus is what opens.
click on my computer or something like that - nautilus again.
When you say you're clicking these things and opening folders, you're already using it....
GSXR750L

Re: Nautilus LMDE [Half Solved]

Post by GSXR750L »

:lol: :lol: :lol: okaaaaaaaaay I see :D took me a minute to find "Places" twas in Menu right before my eyes :roll: Never clicked on them before, only like I said before, from Computer on the Desktop, so I see in that sense what Nautilus and Windows Explorer are now BUT, no folks don't start bashing your heads against the wall yet. Honest there's this extra tool that does more stuff, honest I found it in Menu under ALL and its also called Nautilus. I know I know I know tis probably sort of the same thing but it obviously does a few more tricks :wink: BUT I'm on to it now, I'll sus it sooner or later, what do you mean, "Next Year probably". I'm on the case, there's no holding me back now :mrgreen:
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

There is a very good possibility that we misunderstood your post.

I truly doubt that there was a direct attempt to debase you. None of us go out of our way to berate Newbies, I imagine the Moderators would ban us if that were the case. If that is the way you percieved it, then I apologize.

Nautilus, the File Navigator, is second nature to us. As far as a, more "in depth" solution, I've never cared to look for one and if there is an additional purpose, you might try the Gnome site for enlightenment.

Take Care,
Dave
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Hiya Dave68, no no no I wasn't upset by anything anyone said, it's just sometimes I fail to see, the blindingly obvious to everyone else, so post very hesitantly :oops:. You know - you get those optical illusion pictures with hidden images in them that you have to spot, only sometimes they are not so obvious, and it takes a while for the penny to drop. Well its a bit like that, when you see and understand, you think to yourself, "Why the heck couldn't I see that" :roll:. Nautilus, there I was using it all the time from the first boot up of the first install :shock:. Mind you there is still the matter of what else it does and how......
okay off to get my coat :mrgreen:.
allypink

Post by allypink »

GSXR750L wrote:Hiya Dave68, no no no I wasn't upset by anything anyone said, it's just sometimes I fail to see, the blindingly obvious to everyone else, so post very hesitantly :oops:. You know - you get those optical illusion pictures with hidden images in them that you have to spot, only sometimes they are not so obvious, and it takes a while for the penny to drop. Well its a bit like that, when you see and understand, you think to yourself, "Why the heck couldn't I see that" :roll:. Nautilus, there I was using it all the time from the first boot up of the first install :shock:. Mind you there is still the matter of what else it does and how......
okay off to get my coat :mrgreen:.
you a funny guy :lol: Happy Nautilus-ing.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

I was once the most deadly serious man in the World :cry: Then one day I answered a post on a dating site and I ended up in the Mary River Valley between Conondale and Kenilworth for THREE days. Never been the same since, miss you all like mad. Can (why not) you let me back into Aus :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”