how to get latest software?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dogs1985

Post by Dogs1985 »

in package manager opera version is 10.63, rhythmbox version 0.12.8 and so on..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: how to get latest software?

Post by vrkalak »

Since Debian Squeeze will be released as 'stable' this weekend ... with the LMDE (based on Debian 'testing') release you already have the latest "stable" software/applications/packages available for the 'stable' release.

There are probably newer versions of an application/program released but they have not proven to be 'stable' yet.

If you absolutely must have the latest and best release of something, I would suggest you upgrade your LMDE sources.list to point toward the unstable (Sid) branch of Debian.

Sid/unstable has the latest of everything, but it they have not yet been tried and tested and the possibility of them breaking your system is greater.
Use 'unstable' at your own risk or wait a few weeks for the package to be upgraded to 'testing'

Just because a program, application, kernel or OS distro has been 'released' -- does not make it 'stable' ... but, does make it available for testing and reporting 'bugs'
Dogs1985

Post by Dogs1985 »

how to make it unstable, i'm new in linux.
because the rhythmbox always hang when my network not stable when streaming radio.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

Dogs1985 wrote:how to make it unstable, i'm new in linux.
because the rhythmbox always hang when my network not stable when streaming radio.
click on the mentupdate icon go to edit then go to software sources then change any cases of testing to unstable close it update then upgrade to unstable
or if you want just a certian package to be unstable/sid go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages search for the package and select Distribution unstable with any still selected
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Dogs1985 wrote:how to make it unstable.
While using LMDE ... in a Terminal, type: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list <enter>
Enter <passowrd> when prompted.

In the Text Editor, in the sources.list change everywhere that it says 'testing' to 'unstable' ... Save.

Terminal again, type: sudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences
Change where it says 'testing' to 'unstable' (don't change anything else) ... Save.

Next ... back to the Terminal, type: sudo apt-get update. <enter>

Done.

Now you should now be able to go to your Synaptic Package Manager and find all those newer Apps/Programs listed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Disclaimer:
Those less familiar with how Linux/Debian works should not do this. Back-up everything -- first.
I do not wish to be responsible if anyone breaks there OS.
LMDE/Debian is rock solid stable -- always.
Debian's 'testing' branch to a lesser degree is pretty stable.
Unstable -- however, is just that 'unstable'
Dogs1985

Post by Dogs1985 »

i still don't saw any latest rhythmbox?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Well, the latest version in Unstable is the same version as in testing, that is why you did not see anything newer. I determined this from the link posted by cpatrick08. The only way to get a newer version would be to go to the projects homepage and download the source file so that you can compile the program yourself. I would not recommend that you do this.

Be sure and heed vrkalak's disclaimer.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Dogs1985 wrote:how to make it unstable, i'm new in linux.
I'm personally not a fan of rhythmbox. Have you tried VLC instead? Or if it's for a podcast try gpodder. The current versions for lmde should be fine.

Return to “LMDE Archive”