Black screen with LMDE install on 64bit Dell e6510(Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jcisrisen

Black screen with LMDE install on 64bit Dell e6510(Solved)

Post by jcisrisen »

Would like to install LMDE on my Dell Lat E6510 along side WIN7. 64Bit. I7 processor with Nvidia video. Grub. When I install from a live cd I reboot and I get only a black screen. I have tried booting into both LMDE and LMDE (recover) I have tried nomodeset nomdraid, vga=711. vga=vesa in the preboot commands. Also I have added a xorg.conf file, in the etc/X11 directory changing the display driver to vesa. and have also tried the xorg.conf file out of a antix live cd that booted correctly. Non of this helps. I had the same issue when booting the live LMDB CD but was finally able to with nomodeset nomdraid. Is there anything else I can try?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Black screen with LMDE install on 64bit Dell e6510 w/Nvi

Post by dawgdoc »

There was a Blog posted by Clem re: the 201012 32bit editions and kernel modesetting problems were included in it. An alternate solution instead of nomodeset was xforcevesa (see http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1614 )

Even though you are using 64bit, it may work for you.
jcisrisen

Post by jcisrisen »

Thanks for the info...tried it and it didnt work for me.
jcisrisen

Post by jcisrisen »

my bad...dawgdoc,...your instruction did work...i had a typo....
dawgdoc

Re: Black screen with LMDE install on 64bit Dell e6510(Solve

Post by dawgdoc »

I'm glad it worked for you, I had no other suggestions coming to mind.
saghaulor

Re: Black screen with LMDE install on 64bit Dell e6510(Solve

Post by saghaulor »

I am having the same issue with Linux Mint 10 KDE 32 bit. Please see my thread and assist if you can. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66983

Return to “LMDE Archive”