IDEA: special editions of Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
swiftlinuxcreator

IDEA: special editions of Linux Mint

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

Remember the big splash created by Hannah Montana Linux in 2009? (Despite the predictions that Disney would clamp down on it, Hannah Montana Linux is still available.)

I think Linux Mint should try something similar - special editions consisting of a special audio clip that plays at startup and special default wallpaper. I recently started a new lightweight antiX-based distro called Swift Linux (www.swiftlinux.org), and I have created four special editions: Taylor Swift Linux, iCarly Swift Linux, Magnum P.I. Swift Linux, and NASCAR Swift Linux.

Yes, what I am proposing is purely cosmetic. Yes, I know that users can change the wallpaper themselves. Yes, this is just a marketing gimmick. But Linux really needs more marketing. Special themes can be used to reach out to various demographic groups.

Think of the advantages a special edition from Linux Mint would have over Hannah Montana Linux and my special editions of Swift Linux:
1. Linux Mint is the second most popular distro: Linux Mint is well-established, well-supported, and very user-friendly. The only more popular distro is the parent distro Ubuntu. Even though many (including myself) have criticized Mint and Ubuntu as bloatware, I converted two families in town from Vista to Mint when they needed to have files rescued from Vista rot. There's just no arguing with Linux Mint's long and successful track record, and the bloatware criticism is a moot point for a computer with 3 GB of RAM. I'm proud of my work on Swift Linux, but I only started it very recently, and I know that I have a lot of work to do on it. Ubuntu and Mint didn't become #1 and #2 overnight, and neither will Swift Linux.
2. Linux Mint is MUCH more user-friendly and has MORE functionality than Hannah Montana Linux. I tried Hannah Montana Linux. It felt clunky and slow. (Many have blamed this on its Kubuntu base, which is much less popular than Ubuntu.) And Hannah Montana Linux actually excludes packages that Kubuntu has, such as the popular OpenOffice.

In other words, I'd like to see Linux Mint combine the marketing of Hannah Montana Linux and my special editions of Swift Linux with its already-existing infrastructure and support to create an enormous and unprecedented splash.
JasonLG

Re: IDEA: special editions of Linux Mint

Post by JasonLG »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:Remember the big splash created by Hannah Montana Linux in 2009? (Despite the predictions that Disney would clamp down on it, Hannah Montana Linux is still available.)

I think Linux Mint should try something similar - special editions consisting of a special audio clip that plays at startup and special default wallpaper. I recently started a new lightweight antiX-based distro called Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org), and I have created four special editions: Taylor Swift Linux, iCarly Swift Linux, Magnum P.I. Swift Linux, and NASCAR Swift Linux.

Yes, what I am proposing is purely cosmetic. Yes, I know that users can change the wallpaper themselves. Yes, this is just a marketing gimmick. But Linux really needs more marketing. Special themes can be used to reach out to various demographic groups.

Think of the advantages a special edition from Linux Mint would have over Hannah Montana Linux and my special editions of Swift Linux:
1. Linux Mint is the second most popular distro: Linux Mint is well-established, well-supported, and very user-friendly. The only more popular distro is the parent distro Ubuntu. Even though many (including myself) have criticized Mint and Ubuntu as bloatware, I converted two families in town from Vista to Mint when they needed to have files rescued from Vista rot. There's just no arguing with Linux Mint's long and successful track record, and the bloatware criticism is a moot point for a computer with 3 GB of RAM. I'm proud of my work on Swift Linux, but I only started it very recently, and I know that I have a lot of work to do on it. Ubuntu and Mint didn't become #1 and #2 overnight, and neither will Swift Linux.
2. Linux Mint is MUCH more user-friendly and has MORE functionality than Hannah Montana Linux. I tried Hannah Montana Linux. It felt clunky and slow. (Many have blamed this on its Kubuntu base, which is much less popular than Ubuntu.) And Hannah Montana Linux actually excludes packages that Kubuntu has, such as the popular OpenOffice.

In other words, I'd like to see Linux Mint combine the marketing of Hannah Montana Linux and my special editions of Swift Linux with its already-existing infrastructure and support to create an enormous and unprecedented splash.
2 Words: Copyright infringement... and a sound, *me making a fart noise*
swiftlinuxcreator

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

Some specific ideas for special editions of Linux Mint:
1. Pink Fluffy Linux Mint: There is a pink fluffy edition of Kubuntu. Why not do the same for Linux Mint?
2. Country Music Linux Mint: This would appeal to a demographic group that you don't expect to be using Linux.
3. Vampire Linux Mint: This would cash in on the Twilight craze.
4. Funny Cat Linux Mint: This would cash in on "I Can Haz Cheezburger", LOLCats, Caturday, etc. Think of how many people there are owned by cats.
5. Funny Dog Linux Mint: This would cash in on LOLdogs. Think of how many dog owners there are out there.
6. Special editions for various countries: This would appeal to patriotism and national pride.
7. Special editions for various cities/states/provinces: This would appeal to civic pride.

The special editions should use the GNOME DE. Because GNOME is the most popular desktop for Linux Mint users, I think new Linux users should be steered in this direction, as they get more support and have more people who can help them out. They can always switch to another desktop later.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Just been over to DLR to read a review on Hannah Montanna Linux, very funny!
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/ ... ana-linux/

Why not just provide a theme for an existing distro?
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:Remember the big splash created by Hannah Montana Linux in 2009? (Despite the predictions that Disney would clamp down on it, Hannah Montana Linux is still available.)

I think Linux Mint should try something similar - special editions consisting of a special audio clip that plays at startup and special default wallpaper. I recently started a new lightweight antiX-based distro called Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org), and I have created four special editions: Taylor Swift Linux, iCarly Swift Linux, Magnum P.I. Swift Linux, and NASCAR Swift Linux.

could you post some screen shots of the editions of swift Linux you have made so far
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:Some specific ideas for special editions of Linux Mint:
1. Pink Fluffy Linux Mint: There is a pink fluffy edition of Kubuntu. Why not do the same for Linux Mint?
2. Country Music Linux Mint: This would appeal to a demographic group that you don't expect to be using Linux.
4. Funny Cat Linux Mint: This would cash in on "I Can Haz Cheezburger", LOLCats, Caturday, etc. Think of how many people there are owned by cats.
5. Funny Dog Linux Mint: This would cash in on LOLdogs. Think of how many dog owners there are out there.
6. Special editions for various countries: This would appeal to patriotism and national pride.
7. Special editions for various cities/states/provinces: This would appeal to civic pride.

The special editions should use the GNOME DE. Because GNOME is the most popular desktop for Linux Mint users, I think new Linux users should be steered in this direction, as they get more support and have more people who can help them out. They can always switch to another desktop later.
Doesn't exactly sound too swift to me, nuff said

/me bins - locks - shreds
justin

Post by justin »

No.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:Some specific ideas for special editions of Linux Mint:

You're not supposed to actually drink the bong water.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:I think Linux Mint should try something similar - special editions consisting of a special audio clip that plays at startup and special default wallpaper.
Enough with special editions, special audiences, special needs already

It seems (to me) that there is enough choice with the two main desktops (Gnome & KDE), and the alternates (LXDE, XFCE), as well as a parent edition of Debian (LMDE)

Unless a special edition/distribution meets the exact requirements of a specific audience, it is no more special than a general release
  • In which each user can make their own customizations/special setups or changes..
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Yup I used to have a buddy that the more he smoked the more he would sit and say "cheap drugs and alcohol"...This would have been his mentality too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Next suggestion will the LinuxMint "Homeless" Edition.

no /home directory!
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I thought the original post was spam, but quite humorous. Then when I read the second post by the OP, I fell out laughing at the complete absurdity. This is spam comedy at its finest. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
nerjamartin

Post by nerjamartin »

OMG!!

When I seen that user only have 2 posts I think that maybe its a joke, but when I see the website... oh dear!! Seriously somebody spend the time in something like this???

Muhahahahahahahahaha

I think it's NOT a good idea... sorry :roll:
Yup I used to have a buddy that the more he smoked the more he would sit and say "cheap drugs and alcohol"...This would have been his mentality too :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're not supposed to actually drink the bong water.
SOOOOO rainbows epic!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Hannah Montana Linux?...Seriously?... :lol: :lol:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”