No sound in TVtime

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ishanatmuz

No sound in TVtime

Post by ishanatmuz »

I installed linuxmint 9.
I used the software manager to install TVtime Television Viewer.
I was able to see the video by chaging the video source to ' composite 1'.
Although the picture was grainy so i changes the video standard from 'NTSC' to 'PAL' and got the right quality of video.
But even when I played a lot with audio settings still I can't listen to the audio.
While the audio on my PC for audio files and video files work without any clutters.
I have a HP Pavilion Media Center PC.
Model no: m7382in
It has a Hauppauge WinTV 88x TV tuner card.
For sound it has Realtek ALC 882 chipset which Supports up to 8 audio channels, Dolby Pro Logic II compatible Dolby 5.1 .
I am not able to figure out what is the problem with this specific software.
Please note that everything works great in my Windows XP media center edition.

Please anyone help me with this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: No sound in TVtime

Post by tdockery97 »

Read through this and try the terminal commands they suggest. It will be the post starting with the user "Ultimate User" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029078&page=5
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ishanatmuz

Post by ishanatmuz »

tdockery97 wrote:Read through this and try the terminal commands they suggest. It will be the post starting with the user "Ultimate User" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029078&page=5
Trying your solution which was this

Code: Select all

Try copy and paste this in the terminal when tv time is running
Code:
arecord -D hw:1,0 -c 2 -r 32000 -f S16_LE -t wav | aplay - &
If you then get sound, open gedit and paste this in it
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo
tvtime  &

sleep 4

echo
save it with name of your choice to your desktop, click on it and choose "run" to see TV
The sound cam just after typing

Code: Select all

in the terminal.
But it was only static and the sound of the TV program was not there.
Please help.
yusufbolu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yusufbolu »

Hi,

I use Mint Julia for 2 months. I have a Aver Media 009 analog tvcard. I have cable tv connection. Used this without troubles with MSXP. When I switched to Mint I got picture with tvtime but no sound. I checked a lot of forums and tried many things. The solution which worked for me is below (I copied this post from a forum and saved. I don't have the link to the forum now).
Hi all, First off I'm pretty new to all this, but, i managed to get the sound working. This is how:

1. in terminal run: pactl load-module module-loopback

2. Start tvtime with: tvtime | arecord -D hw:1,0 -f S16_LE -c2 -r32000 | aplay -

3. Start (install) QT Jack Control interface, setup input device as hw:1,0 and output as default, start the service, for me it produced a server error, cancel out of the error, and close all by right clicking on icon in tray. At this point the audio kicks in

I don't understand why, but this procedure ALWAYS gives me audio. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can see a fix in all this. Standing by, hoping :)
By the way, the audio standart in tvtime is set to PAL-BG.
I hope this helps you. I hope they manage to solve this "no sound problem" in the future versions.
ishanatmuz

Post by ishanatmuz »

yusufbolu wrote:Hi,

I use Mint Julia for 2 months. I have a Aver Media 009 analog tvcard. I have cable tv connection. Used this without troubles with MSXP. When I switched to Mint I got picture with tvtime but no sound. I checked a lot of forums and tried many things. The solution which worked for me is below (I copied this post from a forum and saved. I don't have the link to the forum now).
Hi all, First off I'm pretty new to all this, but, i managed to get the sound working. This is how:

1. in terminal run: pactl load-module module-loopback

2. Start tvtime with: tvtime | arecord -D hw:1,0 -f S16_LE -c2 -r32000 | aplay -

3. Start (install) QT Jack Control interface, setup input device as hw:1,0 and output as default, start the service, for me it produced a server error, cancel out of the error, and close all by right clicking on icon in tray. At this point the audio kicks in

I don't understand why, but this procedure ALWAYS gives me audio. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can see a fix in all this. Standing by, hoping :)
By the way, the audio standart in tvtime is set to PAL-BG.
I hope this helps you. I hope they manage to solve this "no sound problem" in the future versions.
can you please tell me how to install QT jack control interface.
I searched in Software manager and package manager. but I can't find any.
Searching on Google made me confuse with all the prerequisite.
Please help.
yusufbolu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yusufbolu »

The name of the software in software manager is qjackctl.
Its description says "user interface for controlling the jack sound server"
It is installed under sound and video applications.
ishanatmuz

Post by ishanatmuz »

yusufbolu wrote:The name of the software in software manager is qjackctl.
Its description says "user interface for controlling the jack sound server"
It is installed under sound and video applications.
Sorry For replying with this delay. I was out of station, so wasn't able to open my PC.
Just want to tell you that I tried every input channel listed and tried hw:1,0 too, but the sound after quiting the Jack control interface is again the same (the previous Noise). :cry:

Please Help me.
yusufbolu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yusufbolu »

Well, I am also very new to Linux. Unfortunately I can not create a solution for you. All I can say is "just search other forums as I did". You can find different solutions. Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”