Giver file transfer confirmation doesn't appear

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sasy360

Giver file transfer confirmation doesn't appear

Post by sasy360 »

Hi guys,
I have LMDE on my laptop and ubuntu on my PC and when i try to send files from laptop to pc using Giver it's fine but from PC to laptop the confirmation dialog box doesn't appear and it abort after a while. i thought it is a problem with compiz but disabling it doesn't help.
any help appreciated :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Giver file transfer confirmation doesn't appear

Post by altair4 »

This is really a very confusing story. There have been bug reports submitted for this and the problem is the new "notification" system that is now used. It doesn't allow for interaction by the user - it simply notifies the remote user that someone wants to give him a file but doesn't allow him to accept:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/notify-osd/+bug/347081
When using giver, the recipient used to be presented with an option to accept or deny a file. With notify-osd this is no longer an option. The notification pops up and says what the bubble used to but there is no way to respond to the request.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/349550
Giver is currently using notifications to present the recipient of a transfer with an option to accept or deny a file. However, implementations like notify-osd do not let applications use notifications for such interactions, and instead encourage the use of better interaction mechanisms, like a dialog box or a morphing application window.
Unfortuantely, according to the last bug this issue was fixed on 31 Mar 2009:
This bug was fixed in the package notify-sharp - 0.4.0~r3032-1ubuntu1

---------------
notify-sharp (0.4.0~r3032-1ubuntu1) jaunty; urgency=low

* debian/patches/02_reverse_cap_check.patch:
- Reverse the patch merged upstream which swallows actions in·
notification. It is more appropriate for applications to make·
that decision rather than a library. Thanks David Barth. (LP: #349550)

-- Ken VanDine <email address hidden> Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:51:06 -0400
I honestly an truly do not understand the Ubuntu bug reporting and fixing process since this is clearly not fixed. Perhaps what was "fixed" was the ability for giver to bypass "notify" and present the user with it's own dialog box and it's up to giver to modify it's code to make it happen. Sorry, I wish I had a work around for this problem.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
sasy360

Post by sasy360 »

Hi altair4 and thanks for the reply :)
the problem exactly is i get the notify osd and the confirmation dialogbox in ubuntu but only the notify in LMDE and the dialogbox doesn't appear.
I honestly an truly do not understand the Ubuntu bug reporting and fixing process since this is clearly not fixed. Perhaps what was "fixed" was the ability for giver to bypass "notify" and present the user with it's own dialog box and it's up to giver to modify it's code to make it happen. Sorry, I wish I had a work around for this problem.
you mean this bug doesn't address properly and they just fixed it to work in ubuntu? should i report it as a bug?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

sasy360 wrote: should i report it as a bug?
Yes. I would reference the two ubuntu bugs above so there is a point of reference. The Ubuntu and Debian folks are supposed to talk to each other about these sorts of bugs but ...
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ddmetzger

Post by ddmetzger »

I am a little confused as to why some folks are talking about an Ubuntu bug. In my case, Giver interactions between MINT/Ubuntu computers work exactly as they should. It is only when I try to transfer a file from a MINT/Ubuntu computer to a MINT/Debian computer that the failure occurs. Since I have only one machine running MINT/Debian I do not know if "Debian to Debian" works.

Does anybody know if Debian acknowledges this as a bug?
danger89

Post by danger89 »

I try to install docky, but I got the same problem with 'notify-sharp'. Which aperrently can not be found I tried multiple ppa's.

There is no notify-sharp in Linux Mint :S
Could not load file or assembly 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2df29c54e245917a' or one of its dependencies.

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Docky.Docky' from assembly 'Docky, Version=0.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Debian to Debian transfers do not work. It has not worked since the onset of LMDE in both 32 and 64. I've posted about it before, but received no reply. Giver is a great little program, but I believe it was just a one-time project and it is no longer maintained, as far as I know.
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Return to “LMDE Archive”