Had a little scare

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
timmer1240

Had a little scare

Post by timmer1240 »

Tonight I was playing around with my compiz config trying to make the panels and menus transparent I some how made them completely invisible!Well I was a little scared then so I dug out my install cd rebooted into that,from there I browsed to my home folder on the machine went into .config/compiz/compizconfig and edited the fusion Icon setting to active wm = compiz to active wm = GTK rebooted and Yes Im back!Then I went back into CCSM and changed it back to where it was then switched window manager back to Compiz and all is well!I love this system but be careful and keep those cds handy!5 minutes of nervous fun for me and I figured this out by myself Im proud of myself!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Had a little scare

Post by vrkalak »

"tinkering with the OS" ... that's what we do. :lol:

You have no idea, how many times, I've done a 'fresh install' -- when I first came to Linux ... for many of the same reasons, I'm sure.

Definition of a Linux Adventurer:
They are not scared to try something new or different.
They are willing to pick a random button and click it ...
To open a terminal and type gibberish they do not understand and hit 'enter'.
To type endless key words into Google, until they find relative direction.
Then, to try each method until one works or until they "b0rk" their OS so bad they have to start over.
To do a 'fresh' install, again.
They are not scared to screw up ... they just do it.

Just a part of the ... Linux Learning Experience. :P
timmer1240

Post by timmer1240 »

I Love to explore all the settings and this and that you really get to know the system that way I Just cant leave it alone my wife always asks how can you sit there for 3 hours at a time to me its better than watching a movie!I did the same thing with Windows when I was running that only Linux is much much better!
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Much like me . I love messing with the settings 'til I bork the system and then see what I can do with it (my wife laughs at my nonsense) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But how else are you going to learn :?: :?: :?:
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

Learning is great, but remembering is a PITA. If you don't already, I would advise keeping a Linux logbook. I use a simple spiral notebook myself. Anytime I tinker, I write down what I did, and the effect on the system (so I can backtrack my steps, if possible, or maybe I don't want that feature now, but maybe later I do). More importantly, when I break my system, I document how I fixed it, where I found the fix etc., I also log failed fixes. This has come in useful time and again, not just for myself, but for others in various forums. Happy tweaking!
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I am also keeping a Linux logbook myself too. By this method, i feel more confident and it saved me some time a couple of times.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I ofter click things to see what they do. I do have a road map but I also bork my system up alot too
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

grey1960envoy wrote:Much like me . I love messing with the settings 'til I bork the system and then see what I can do with it (my wife laughs at my nonsense)
We must be twins. :wink:
timmer1240

Post by timmer1240 »

Its what I call fun!
Roger Marquis

Post by Roger Marquis »

Looks like you work with gnome, suggest you install Ubuntu Tweak ( http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ ) I thing you will like it.

cheers
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

timmer1240 thanks for this useful post, I decided to try the proprietary ATI drivers on my display, After following the instruction to the tee my machine would only boot terminal mode and no X. I was going to just reinstall LMDE, but I thought of this post, and messed around a couple of hours and got things right. I deleted xorg.conf and was able to boot X again, then I reinstalled the driver, but I did not edit the xorg.conf as explained in the wiki. I also started a small notepad with these 2 things for future reference.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
phubai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phubai »

I guess the OP awakened some memories for all of us! I had "volumes" of notes with my early Gentoo installs, and used them so much, over and over, that I knew almost precisely where to find what I needed. Then I wondered why I didn't do it right anyway since I'd been there before and should have known!?? Over the years I've learned a great deal more than I ever thought I would about an operating system; unfortunately, I've forgotten just a tad more! It is so much fun to tinker. LMDE is working so well for me on my ThinkPad X61, that I don't mess with it much. I have an old Dell D600 that I use for experimentation. I do have several hard drives for the X61 however, and on them I have Arch, Peppermint, Chrome OS, and OS X currently. I'm going to clone my LMDE/Win 7 drive, and sacrifice one of the others so that I can experiment with the knowledge that I have a stable system in reserve; just in case!

Now would be a good time to do just that if I don't modify my sources list; wouldn't it? lol
ThinkPad X61 - MacBook Pro - HPmini 311 - Dell D60
~/phubai - Fleming Island, FL
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

XidCat wrote:Learning is great, but remembering is a PITA. If you don't already, I would advise keeping a Linux logbook. I use a simple spiral notebook myself. Anytime I tinker, I write down what I did, and the effect on the system (so I can backtrack my steps, if possible, or maybe I don't want that feature now, but maybe later I do). More importantly, when I break my system, I document how I fixed it, where I found the fix etc., I also log failed fixes. This has come in useful time and again, not just for myself, but for others in various forums. Happy tweaking!
Logging things is a great idea! I often rely on the power of memory(which fails), luck (of which I have none), and bookmarks (which are useless when you can't start X).

I'll make it a point to do this.
timmer1240

Post by timmer1240 »

Yes Im keeping some notes in tomboy of all the useful commands and things Im coming across This system is a whole lot funner to work with than xp ever was!Theres so much good knowledge out there!Google ubuntu forums and now the Awesome mint forums are here for me so I know im not alone if I run off the road with this you people are great!It takes an experimental and adventurous type of person to come to linux to be honest I got burned out on constantly trying to keep windows running fast there was always issues with it and no good help online like Linux ,mint, ubuntu,suse and many others have. I visit many different Linux related websites looking for useful commands and ways of doing things with it.Seems after a year with Linux Ive become comfortable with it more than I was with windows it just seems and is more secure so I am too!I still work on windows also but its for my friends so I cant say no Im not an expert but I can usually figure the darn things out.LMDE POWER!

Return to “LMDE Archive”