Can't start Evolution - DBUS error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
windy_miller

Can't start Evolution - DBUS error

Post by windy_miller »

Hi all

I very occasionally use Evolution on my home PC because it lets me access my work Microsoft Exchange email using the Webmail settings

It's probably a couple of months since I last used it but on trying today the only component I can get to start is the Account setup.

On trying to start the actual email client I see the error message below. I have deleted the one account I had setup through the setup page but I still get this error.

I have googled around and I see lots of bug reports but no fixes / workarounds. Can anybody help me get this going please?

Thanks

kevin@kev-laptop ~ $ evolution --component=mail

(evolution:2290): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GSXR750L

Re: Can't start Evolution - DBUS error

Post by GSXR750L »

Not knowing how you should really fix this but I would try going into your home folder and viewing the hidden files, delete or rename the .evolution folder, then reinstall the evolution package from Package Manager and then start from scratch setting up evolution again with your details and an evolution backup if you made one in the past.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

You could try this:
Shutdown Evolution.
Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

mv ~/.dbus ~/.dbus.org
Start Evolution.

If it doesn't work simply mv it back with

Code: Select all

mv ~/.dbus.org ~/.dbus
Please let us know
windy_miller

Post by windy_miller »

Thanks for responses. Went away for the weekend but am back now so can look at this some more.

Weird thing was that after trying seemingly unsuccessfully to start Evolution i went away to make (more) coffee and returned to find a number of Evolution sessions opened. They must have been sat there trying to start even so seemingly have failed and returned to command prompt.

Anyway. I recreated the account I had in there previously but could not apparently connect to and authenticate against the server .... :roll:

Will perhaps try a couple of things as suggested and perhaps turn off Firewall temporarily as well just to see what happens.

Back laters ...

Return to “LMDE Archive”