Pulse audio (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
georgeparker20

Pulse audio (Solved)

Post by georgeparker20 »

I have 2 AMD Athlon 64 x2 computers, not absolutely identical but close, both running Mint Debian (LMDE) 201012. One of them plays sound in all applications and the other only plays sound in Gnome Mplayer. Not in Rhythmbox, Movie Player, Mplayer, flash on Firefox etc. The "good" computer shows the sound card in Pulse Audio Manager Devices but the other only shows "Dummy Output". I assume that this is because it isn't detecting the sound card at boot.

I've Googled the problem and there seemed to be a similar problem in Ubuntu Hardy but it seems that later kernels should have solved this. But not for me. Any ideas anybody?

George
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Pulse audio

Post by Kendall »

I'll try to get a moderator to move this to the LMDE forum instead of the LXDE forum. You'll likely get a better response there. ;)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from LXDE
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi George!
To save time to help others I standardized this first reply.
Some forum members don't know they are supposed to inform themselves before posting.
Well, please try to follow this procedure: First read
Quickly get help
Chapters:
> Terminal > Opening a Thread > Problems (Hardware, Sound, Grub, Partitioning, Network) > Links [solved problems]
Search for a solution, both in the forum and on the internet.
Your cooperation would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm sure after having posted relevant details you will get personal help.
seeley
georgeparker20

Post by georgeparker20 »

Problem resolved if not solved.

I think the problem was the original sound card which is an Intel HDA SBx00 Azalia. I've seen reference to these cards being a problem in Linux before. It was being detected by the boot process but not passed to Pulse Audio. When I installed other cards the same thing happened. Rather than try to hack the boot process (life's too short) I re-installed LMDE with a different sound card installed. Everything now works as it should with the sound card shown in Pulse Audio.
George
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi George!
Glad for you.
If you don't have further questions concerning this thread please edit your first post and add [solved] to the subject line.
seeley

Return to “LMDE Archive”