LMDE, Grub, and Liquorix

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cphayes0882

LMDE, Grub, and Liquorix

Post by cphayes0882 »

Ok, Im a linux weekend warrior, and I had a few questions about changing out the kernel. First off, I gave this kernel liquorix a try. Well, my computer would freeze up before the grub screen would get past the word GRUB. I know I did something wrong, and Ive seen plenty of people use it with success, so is there anyone out there who could help me install this kernel? Im slowing making my way into linux and Im not afraid to break things, its how you learn, but Im not sure what I did wrong.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: LMDE, Grub, and Liquorix

Post by wayne128 »

first thing: check this thread
and read the proper procedure by vincent on how to install liquorix kernel
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0
cphayes0882

Post by cphayes0882 »

Thanks man, followed the instructions and now Im up and running. Ok, now I have another question which is related I instealled the header and such, but there are two files with similar names that are meta packages dependent on the two liquorix files I installed. First off, what is a metapackage(bear with me, I work all week, dont usually have time to fiddle around with the computer) and are these two necessary? Im up and running with the two files I installed, but want to know if they are still necessary. Thanks. Ive heard people putting main and future in the repo for liquorix, whats up with that? Did it last time, but this time I didnt, does it make a difference as well?
cphayes0882

Post by cphayes0882 »

Ok just as an update to my question, I got a wild hair and decided to install the metapackages for the liquorix kernel. Voila, my system broke again and when I booted, the word GRUB would appear in the top left corner, and the system would lock up right there. Had to reinstall my system AGAIN(thank God for a seperate home partition). So anyone know why this would happen?

Return to “LMDE Archive”