updates to mint 9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stripe

updates to mint 9

Post by stripe »

Hi all

Hope this is in the right place, if not I am sorry and please move it.
I am a happy linux mint user, I am setting up a 64bit version for my daughter on her first computer, the problem I have is that it will only be able connect to the web using a usb wireless dongle (no hard wiring possible) I was wanting to use mint 9 because of it being a long term distro and keeping the same os running on all computers, but the dongle is only recognised in mint 10 is it likely that mint 9 will be updated for this or should I update all the computers with mint 10?.

Cheers

Stripe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
olligod

Re: updates to mint 9

Post by olligod »

stripe wrote:Hi all

Hope this is in the right place, if not I am sorry and please move it.
I am a happy linux mint user, I am setting up a 64bit version for my daughter on her first computer, the problem I have is that it will only be able connect to the web using a usb wireless dongle (no hard wiring possible) I was wanting to use mint 9 because of it being a long term distro and keeping the same os running on all computers, but the dongle is only recognised in mint 10 is it likely that mint 9 will be updated for this or should I update all the computers with mint 10?.

Cheers

Stripe
My straight (opinionated :lol: ) answer first:
Go for 10.
I doubt it that Mint-9 gets updates to "hardware recognition" relevant packages. You would be very lucky.
Yes, there will be updates to Mint-9, but increasingly only security relevant stuff and bug fix releases (or third party software such as google-chrome, if applicable)

Also, Mint-10 is a very nice and stable release - so I would with a good conscience recommend that Mint-10 is used.
"Not long-term" means actually in April-2012 security updates will cease to be released for Mint-10.

Mint-10 is (my subjective feeling) just as good and stable as Mint-9. Only the agreed-on support lasts longer in Mint-9, aka "L.T.S."

The question is always: Should I keep my system running or should I dare an upgrade or reinstall from time to time (while keeping my data).
To install the then-current version (or upgrading to it) while keeping your data is pretty much routine with Mint nowadays.
When that time comes, you may research how to keep EVERYTHING (including every bookmark and every icon) and transfer it onto the new system
- or post here in the forums.

I run both, Mint-9 and Mint-10 on different computers and for the most part cannot complain. That goes especially for the "Base" (Gnome) version.
(Remark) The KDE version of Mint-10 still has a few issues at the time of writing - but it is still at Release Candidate status - so they may be resolved soon, too.

Summary (my 2 cents):
- Use Mint-10 especially if there is a special need for it (hardware recognition as in your case), and prepare to keep it until April/May-2012.
- do the package updates regularly (Mint-Update, there is an icon on the right-bottom). That keeps your system secure, fixes bugs and *facilitates Distribution Upgrade* when the time comes.
- I trust that your machine runs stable until then - and when the time comes, you either go the upgrade path OR you save your data and environment and replace Mint-10 by the then-current version and then restore your used environment.
stripe

Re: (Solved) updates to mint 9

Post by stripe »

Thanks olligod for a great answer

I think mint 10 will be the route I take, considering the hardware issue (as it will work straight out of the box with mint 10) I tried quite a few 64 bit distros and mint 10 (gnome) came out on top with no problems at all. Updating to a newer version is no problem as I always try to save any data (music, pdf's etc)to a separate partition where it can be accessed by any OS that I am using, and if for whatever reason have to reinstall or totally replace any OS I don't loose my data.

Thanks again

Stripe
olligod

Re: (Solved) updates to mint 9

Post by olligod »

stripe wrote:Thanks olligod for a great answer

I think mint 10 will be the route I take, considering the hardware issue (as it will work straight out of the box with mint 10) I tried quite a few 64 bit distros and mint 10 (gnome) came out on top with no problems at all. Updating to a newer version is no problem as I always try to save any data (music, pdf's etc)to a separate partition where it can be accessed by any OS that I am using, and if for whatever reason have to reinstall or totally replace any OS I don't loose my data.

Thanks again

Stripe
My very great pleasure. :wink:

One more thing (you might know anyway... but I do want to have mentioned it):

To save your bookmarks and complete environment: They are in the hidden files and directories ("dot-star-files/dirs"); i.e. in /home/yourname/.* In file managers, make sure to make them visible when necessary.
People often forget them and notice once they are gone that they are missing something. I've got some 200 bookmarks in different browsers by now, not to mention icons, email- and other settings.
There are two good strategys for an exaxt restoration of your environment across distros:

(1) Make a separate /home partition at install time. So when the time comes for a new install, you can of course mount that partition again - and, save for small exceptions, you'll be back in your old environment - albeit with a "new engine under the hood". Distros like Suse offer this as a default at install time. But in Mint/Ubuntu you'd have to manually partition at install time. To me, this is the smartest way to go.

(2) To backup your entire /home/yourname directory as a whole (go to /home and do it from there), and then it can be restored after an OS-reinstall.

Of course, the usual warnings about ALWAYS backupping before an OS install / dist-upgrade apply :wink:
aljoriz

Re: updates to mint 9

Post by aljoriz »

if its about the usb dongle only had you tried installing usb-modeswitch on Mint9?

Go to the terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch
Mint10 has usb-modeswitch installed while Mint 9 does not have it installed, which may explain why the dongle does not work on Mint 9.

After installation try, the usb modem dongle again. BTW if would help us help you if you can post the Model and manufacturer of the Dongle, many people here use usb modem dongles for internet. I am using the following dongles on Mint9:
Huawei 1552 / 1550 and ZTE brand usb dongle; they work perfectly after installing usb-modeswitch.

Return to “Beginner Questions”