Getting windows to remember their position

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Quantumboredom

Getting windows to remember their position

Post by Quantumboredom »

Hi.

I have installed LMDE as a guest in VirtualBox to try and use it for everyday tasks. The only problem I've encountered is that some windows don't remember their positions, which is a pretty serious usability problem.

A quick search seems to indicate that this is a feature that's always been missing from GNOME. I did however find the "Place Windows" settings in CompizConfig Settings Manager which seems like it would allow me to do what I need. However none of the settings in CompizConfig Settings Manager seem to be working.

Do all of the settings in CompizConfig require 3D acceleration? I have installed guest additions and enabled 3D acceleration, and my impression is that Compiz Fusion should be able to work. Is there a setting hidden somewhere to enable it? Or any other suggestions on how to do what I want (either set window locations and sizes manually or have windows remember their previous settings)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Getting windows to remember their position

Post by Fornhamfred »

Assuming you are running 64 bit then this should help.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... iz#p380266

Good Luck
Quantumboredom

Re: Getting windows to remember their position

Post by Quantumboredom »

Indeed I am using 64-bit. Running "compiz --replace" seems to do the trick, thanks for the help :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”