LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
runbei

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by runbei »

"Implement partitioner" rings a bell. I'm having trouble installing LMDE 2011-01 because the liveCD installer doesn't see my main disk. Currently I've asked for help in a separate thread; just wanted to vote for a partitioner because this hasn't been a problem with the main editions including Julia.

Thank you for all your work on Mint and the help you provide. Much appreciated.
N!cke

Post by N!cke »

autocrosser wrote:
Dave68 wrote:
tracking the liquirix kernels by default
X2
+100!!!!!!
+1
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

though i must say I've noticed the ndiswrapper kernel-modulke installation failing with the last couple of liquorix kernel. non-issue for me but then again I don't use wireless
gazza

Post by gazza »

wish list -> broken package -> popup menu -> do you wish to manually fix this, auto fix this -> does it's own sudo dpkg --configure -a and etc

I ask this because a dozen times a day people come into irc with this issue, half don't know what a terminal is, common issues, are lock file still in use, even when synaptic etc aren't open (think mintupdate forgets to release lock file before it closes sometimes). What do I do after it says packageX is broken, things like that. If we are heading towards a user friendly OS , I believe this should be addressed..

Another bug bare is grub2 not recognizing win7 , causing long and protracted attempts at help, 50% of cases not resolved. I personally think we should bactrack to grub legacy or lilo, but the trend is against this, just wondering if there is someway to address this issue as grub2 is not user friendly at all...
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Staying with Squeeze and back-porting updated packages would be cool...but Saline OS does that, so maybe it's good for choice using Testing, idk....

That aside, I would love to see a KDE option for LMDE....now THAT would be cool for the initiated !! :P :mrgreen:
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
gazza

Post by gazza »

This is not just for lmde, but Mint overall, got this in irc..

<andrey> somebody should make a program that asks the user if they want to install wine when they click on a .exe
<andrey> right now it opens archive manager and exits saying unknown archive
<andrey> not helpful

If I could get a command line way of opening the Software Manager with 'wine' highlighted, or direct to the installer part with wine as the object , I could write up a small perl-gtk2 dialog with two buttons, "Would you like to install Wine to run this Microsoft exe file?" , "yes" , "cancel". All you would need it to have the exe mime type default to the script until wine is installed....
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

id like to see an easy method for installing propietary drivers for those of us who use broadcom-sta. it doesnt have to be as easy as in the main edition (tho id love it if it were) but at least make it somewhat easier. O AND PLYMOUTH. id like to see LMDE with a nice custome plymouth theme specifically for it
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

o one more thing. add wine to the repos(the latest) WITH the wine-geckos and make sure it works for online apps. this is the only reason i cant use LMDE is cuz my MMO's dont work on wine in it T.T
rhY

Post by rhY »

Let me start by saying: I LOVE the new Linux Mint. It is fast, clean, and feature rich. Honestly it is my favorite OS out of the box, EVER. This is no exaggeration. I wasn't in love with the installer compared to the straight Gnome version, but I know that part is a work in progress. At any rate, even as is, the entire distro is not just usable, it's phenomenal. The mint team has outdone itself. The underlying tools almost always "JUST WORK" and "OUT OF THE BOX". I've installed it and run it live (not in that order) on about 30 machines over the last 3 months, and I have to say, it is a very well put together OS. I do however have a few key issues that nag as a daily driver.

VLC is not the default. This is just way over due now, seriously.

VLC will sometimes not stave off the screen saver and then stay dark for 5-6 seconds, then reappear and play normally. ALMOST usable, and about 70x better than the other included apps for playback performance, menu layout, and just plain look and feel.

Rhythmbox is kind of bloated. Sorry, it's "alright", but I generally prefer Audacious. I understand if I get voted down.

I can't pair my wiimotes easily out of the box, and this is princess because:

I can't really get Dolphin to run properly, and I need mario kart. I still have to dual boot to windows xp x64, pretty much solely for Mario Kart.

I haven't really gotten Urban Terror running right either, and I have to assume there's a .deb around somewhere.

I don't know, I'm kind of a noob. I'm getting this error in :Failed to fetch http://archive.removed/ubuntu/dists/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead. as well, so as you can see .deb isn't as functional as I think you could have it. Maybe I just set something up wrong, but at any rate, they weren't listed in the "Search" menu, and the rest of the OS works so well, I'm getting lazy.

Nice job team.
rhY
rhY

Post by rhY »

gazza wrote:This is not just for lmde, but Mint overall, got this in irc..

<andrey> somebody should make a program that asks the user if they want to install wine when they click on a .exe
<andrey> not helpful

If I could get a command line way of opening the Software Manager with 'wine' highlighted, or direct to the installer part with wine as the object , I could write up a small perl-gtk2 dialog with two buttons, "Would you like to install Wine to run this Microsoft exe file?" , "yes" , "cancel". All you would need it to have the exe mime type default to the script until wine is installed....
This is a great idea! Please do this! While we're at it, let's make .exe files executable off of an ntfs drive, no? Why copy all of my windows apps off the native windows partition just to use them for a sec in wine.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I mentioned this is IRC but it doesn't hurt to drop it in here:

Something to enable cddb support for the gnome desktop so that Audio CDs are correctly identified on the desktop, rather than just being called "Audio CD".
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
KLonsdale

Post by KLonsdale »

The installer and raid support would be at the top of my list.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

rhY wrote:
gazza wrote:This is not just for lmde, but Mint overall, got this in irc..

<andrey> not helpful

This is a great idea! Please do this! While we're at it, let's make .exe files executable off of an ntfs drive, no? Why copy all of my windows apps off the native windows partition just to use them for a sec in wine.
This is a wine issue, not an LMDE issue. There is nothing the LMDE devs can do about how wine works. You need to contact the wine developers about it if you want this, but it's not as simple as it may seem, and I would bet serious money that it won't be happening.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

elav wrote: Particularly support the idea of creating a custom Artwork LMDE. In fact, I have thought about doing something about it, maybe some icon theme or a series of wallpapers. LMDE is for me, a better alternative to Linux Mint. Not only the consumption is much lower, but the level of renovation to get the testing branch of Debian is better than every 6 months out of Ubuntu.

Bravo for your ideas Ikey, hopefully to be carried out.
hey if all the custom artwork jazz gets done will it be included in the update manager or something for all of us who already have LMDE installed?
elav

Post by elav »

dante19992 wrote:
elav wrote: Particularly support the idea of creating a custom Artwork LMDE. In fact, I have thought about doing something about it, maybe some icon theme or a series of wallpapers. LMDE is for me, a better alternative to Linux Mint. Not only the consumption is much lower, but the level of renovation to get the testing branch of Debian is better than every 6 months out of Ubuntu.

Bravo for your ideas Ikey, hopefully to be carried out.
hey if all the custom artwork jazz gets done will it be included in the update manager or something for all of us who already have LMDE installed?
Now I have accumulated a lot of work and I could not devote time to the artwork I've been doing, however I hope some day be included in LMDE, once it has already ended.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

rhY wrote: I don't know, I'm kind of a noob. I'm getting this error in :Failed to fetch http://archive.removed/ubuntu/dists/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead. as well, so as you can see .deb isn't as functional as I think you could have it. Maybe I just set something up wrong, but at any rate, they weren't listed in the "Search" menu, and the rest of the OS works so well, I'm getting lazy.

Nice job team.
rhY
uhm that just means the repo was down - but why did you add removed to lmde? not a good idea imho.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

+1 on the sxmi frontend. I'm sure there would be other distros very interested in that one as well ;)

+1 on its own artwork and look

+1 on including gdebi although it's not a biggie.

@ikey, I haven't been here in a while but it's great to see you back on your feet and doing what you love full-time :)
snowtown86

Post by snowtown86 »

I installed LMDE yesterday and found that when I change the window manager to compiz, I would lost my title bar.No use to logout or reboot.

After reading the posts before , I think its the problem of lack of simple-ccsm.I'm wondering if I am right. :lol:

Another problem is the ati driver.I dont want to use the open souce driver because the graphic card is getting so hot after a few minutes.So,hoping for jockey-gtk to give a better support.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Two rather strange bugs i have encountered on LMDE that would be nice if a correction could be figured out is:

1) When booting up into my LMDE 64 bit installation, On the log in screen i have to use my "enter" key on the laptop because it doesn't recognize my touchpad "tap" until i am fully into the system, then it will remember that i turned the tap on...Probably relate to the fact that the touchpad tap isn't turned on by default...

2) When a program is installed that came from an outside "deb file" such as the actual Google Chrome (instead of something in either Software Center or the package manager) then every time any program is installed or re-installed, the Icon will disappear and you have to either "reload" your menu plug ins or wait for the next time you reboot for the plug ins to reload automatically, and then the icon will return...

Happens with my Chrome icon all the time...
gazza

Post by gazza »

wish list -> A few more themes, non-standard ones as extras (or a theme pack extra download), maybe a transparent one. I have nothing particular in mind, but think it would be nice to have a few 'out there' themes that are not the standard pack.. Extra fonts as well, someone in lmde+1 suggested ttf-mscorefonts-installer , don't know if that is legal?? , w/e , but fonts like Arial and Times Roman are standard in M$ and people are wanting the same in Mint.

Return to “LMDE Archive”