What is the first thing to do now?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

What is the first thing to do now?

Post by Gorai »

Today I installed Cassandra and have read the blog about the update manager which is in the system tray. Do I remove it ? How? Via synaptic ? I tried right clicking on update manager in the tray and choosing preferences but after entering my password, nothing appears. Do I install mintUpdate with or without update manager still in the tray?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is perhaps not the first thing to do but still very useful
Yes synaptic and search for update-manager Remove update-manager and update-manager-core
After that you can install mintUpdate
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Removed update manager

Post by Gorai »

I removed update manager, update notifier and update manager core and installed mintupdate_1.2 with a dependency of wajig. Is any instructions about this in the help file or on the wiki. How do I use mintupdate?
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Updated to mintupdate 1.3

Post by Gorai »

Updated to mintupdate 1.3
Also upgraded to Celena 3.1 but the artwork is the same. The start menu still shows Cassandra instead of Celena and login screen also shows Cassandra, how to get the Celena?
I used the Celena Upgrade pdf and did what it said. I had no problems upgrading and removing packages like update manager-core, update manager and update notifier. but on boot up or restart I get that apt is not installed and when I did sudo apt-get install apt this is the message I got: apt is already the newest version and on the next line apt set to manual installed. What does this mean, is there anything for me to do?
There are some packages to be autoremoved. should I auto remove them or keep them they are libavahi-compat-howl0, libwv, libmono-sqlite and libgsf.
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

I got a DVD with Cassandra on it. I cannot download the iso since it is a big download or is it?

I have installed mintupdate 1.4 which is the latest which allows us to upgrade the distribution. Then what is the point to remove update manager? In what way is this different. I know that gutsy is due in 6 days time. Will my system get messed up if I enable dist-upgrade in mintupdate? Will I get ubuntu packages of Mint pkgs?

When I upgraded to Celena I had to do something with print to pdf I followed that and now I cannot print. How to print from Open Office instead of to pdf? There are some lib files in mintupdate that refer to evolution like libcamel libebook libecal are these needed by any other application or is it safe to remove?

When is the next version of Mint due? There are no posts about that!
Husse

Post by Husse »

which allows us to upgrade the distribution. Then what is the point to remove update manager?
My thought too, but you will always be able to make an apt-get distupgrade
And if you do that, regardless of the method you mess up your Mint seriously
When is the next version of Mint due? There are no posts about that!
Well there are, actually.
No date fixed but it will be soon after Gutsy unless there are some nasty surprises there
I don't really understand the pdf section....
If you followed the instructions you should be able to both print to pdf and use your printer
There are some lib files in mintupdate that refer to evolution like libcamel libebook libecal are these needed by any other application or is it safe to remove?
There is a simple way to find out - look them up in synaptic and mark for removal and see what happens.
What you find is that "half your system" will be removed :lol:
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

Thanks Husse for the reply. If I understand correctly it is up to the user to decide if he wants to take the decision to dist-upgrade !!
When I upgraded to Celena I had to install cups-pdf and also make an entry in the printer.conf about printing to pdf. So, when I when I want to print a hard copy I can't but it only has the option of printing to pdf file and not send to the printer for printing :?
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

There was an error loading the theme celena dialog box
Failed to open file '/usr/share/gdm/themes/celena/gnu-linux.png': No such file or directory
and one more

About me --> there was an error while trying to get the address book information. Evolution Data Server can't handle the protocol.
What to do?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You've got a bunch of questions here :)
Yes it's up to the user if he wants to "dist-upgrade" I've asked Clem if it's wise to add it to mintUpdate as we do not want people to dist-upgrade
There is always the option to use apt-get for this
I have to check a bit more for your printer error
'/usr/share/gdm/themes/celena/gnu-linux.png
Do you get the error when you want to use the Celena theme? I have the theme already, and I don't have that file...
I thought About me was hidden. And yes it depends on evolution, but we have made Thunderbird the default and removed evolution, so about me will not work. But if I remember correctly a lot of things depend on it
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

I had selected all the themes I like for login. I had downloaded the theme for Celena from Gnome-look.org and it comes in *.tar.gz format to install. It installed properly and it shows in the themes window but at the time of login it wont load because as I had written earlier the error dialog appears saying it cannot find the gnu-linux.png file. The script is refering to the wrong file? All the login screens come with screenshot.png I checked in the folders - Bianca, Cassandra that is.

I had upgraded to gfxboot but I get the menu screen and then it hangs. By menu screen I mean
root (hd1,2)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
root=UUID=6456b46b-dfd6-423a-8ec4-27e79ea72730 ro quiet splash
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1c00, size=0x1a82cc]
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
[lLinux initrd @ 0x1f955000, 0x69afa5 bytes]
savedefault
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have ended up in "UUID hell"
Follow the wiki to solve it
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _a_problem
As for your printer I have not had the time to look into it, will come back as soon as I find something
Husse

Post by Husse »

The print issue

Perhaps you need to add your printer again
Control panel > Printing add new printer
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

I think I got the login screen fixed but editing the celena.xml file in /usr/share/gdm/themes/celena directory. The entry there was gnu-linux.png instead of celena.png :D
I have also edited the fstab and menu.lst to remove the UUID
I am going for a reboot. If all is well good - no more posts about that problem :D
If if doesn't work, see you again. Thanks for staying with me on this.
Gorai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gorai »

How to upgrade Gnome only without breaking the sytem? Is this possible, because this is supposed to be only desktop environment? How to do it using apt-get and how to do it using synaptic?
I have downloaded some packages from gutsy repos whilst I was using Ubuntu feisty and saved them from the cache to a folder in my /home partition. Is it possible to add and use these in order to upgrade and how to do it?

Return to “Beginner Questions”