How to change the preferred application?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

How to change the preferred application?

Post by hoppel »

Well, I'm ashamed to ask such a simple question:
How can I change the preferred application for a specified file/mime-type? There's the possibility for changing the preferred browser and mail application, but I want to define my favourite application for .cbz files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Right click a file of the type you want to change
Change on the tab "Open with"
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Right click a file of the type you want to change
Change on the tab "Open with"
I did that, and it works, but doesn't remember what I've chosen, so I have to rightclick every time - this isn't supposed to happen, right?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to change the preferred application?

Post by grimdestripador »

hoppel wrote:change the preferred application for a specified file/mime-type? T
You want to permanently change the app used for a mime-type.
Right Click the file in question;
Choose Properties;
Select the tab "Open with";
add/select your app

The previous post had incomplete instructions, but he implied going into perperties by mentioning "right click" then saying choose tab, which somehow implys selecting "Properties"
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oops
I forgot properties.
I never thought it could be misunderstood as there is no tab "Open with" anywhere else, even if there is a "Open with" alternative
One has to be really careful......
Sorry about this :P
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

my problem is n another post and the add to does not contain abiword - so there is no way to add it - and I cannot figure out how to add abiword to the list to ADD TO.

any clues?

thank you.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Well, the problem is more complicated. It is specifically related to those .cbz files. When I try to open them, the system (or what I suppose: clamtk) refuses to do so, because it is a renamed .rar. So it is seen as a possible security leak. Of course I could remove clamtk from my system - if this is the reason - but I'd like to search for a better solution.
This is the error message (sorry, it is in german):

Der Dateiname *** deutet darauf hin, dass der Typ dieser Datei »comic book archive« ist. Dem Dateiinhalt zu Folge handelt es sich jedoch um den Typen »RAR-Archiv«. Daher könnte das Öffnen dieser Datei ein Sicherheitsrisiko für Ihr System darstellen.

Öffnen Sie diese Datei nicht, falls Sie sie nicht selbst angelegt oder Sie ihren Ursprung als vertrauenswürdig einstufen. Versehen Sie diese Datei mit der zu »RAR-Archiv« passenden Erweiterung, um sie dann normal zu öffnen. Alternativ können Sie auch das »Öffnen mit«-Menü verwenden, um eine bestimmte Anwendung für diese Datei auszuwählen.

And I get it every time...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Alternativ können Sie auch das »Öffnen mit«-Menü verwenden, um eine bestimmte Anwendung für diese Datei auszuwählen.
Even after you've changed in "Öffnen mit"?
I don't use antivirus other than an "On demand" scanner - don't think it's necessary
As it is so easy to remove and reinstall, why not remove clamtk and see what happens?
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

As it is so easy to remove and reinstall, why not remove clamtk and see what happens?
Meanwhile I did that but soon discovered a much bigger problem. Directly after deinstallation it did not change anything, and I detected, that it also affects windows-exe files, which should be started by WINE.
I than just installed the latest update using mit-update (it was something concerning hal) and rebooted, to see whether that helps.
After rebooting I was able to log into my account but right after logging in the boot process stopped with nothing more than showing me the mouse pointer. By using a predefined keyboard shortcut I'm able to start the system monitor, but nothing more.

Is there a way to get back to normal? I don't even know, what was causing this accident.
Should I open a new post, since this seems to be not related to the original question?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Aouch!
I've already seen one post about problems with HAL
Please open a new post about that and let's continue with the "other stuff" here :)
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

I've seen it, too. Too bad, I'd like to have the old problem back, it was more comfortable than the new one...

Return to “Beginner Questions”