Resolution problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Possible Fix?

Post by grimdestripador »

There are guides for this, I'll point you.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156243

For a gui to edit xorg
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/xorg-edit
http://fosswire.com/2007/08/17/ubuntu-g ... gconf-gui/

You should try the gui's provided Menu:Administration:X-server-xorg
Under the option of horizontal and vertical frequency, i'm guessing they are blank, in that it did not auto detect. You will need to fill these in with the numbers:
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
You say you want the resolution 1440x900. if its off the intel chipsset you might want to look up i810 or whatever chipset you have to find the right combination.

I've had recent trouble with understanding how the auto config behaves when it doesn't work. I'm guessing your somehow saving the file wrong (it need to be /etc/X11/xorg.conf not x.org.conf) or the GUI tool provided is misleading you (did you choose save). Did you restart the GDM with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace? (you could restart...)

anyway, just use a text editor to edit the default auto configured xorg.conf ( default it by typing sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg) file, and scroll down with a text editor untill you see "generic monitor" or similar. You will need to change your Horizontal and Vertical scanning frequency.
I'm guessing it will need to look something like. Assuming your monitor isn't working correctly with DPMS. (I got the horizontal and vert from the spec page for your monitor)

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        #Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
        VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0 
EndSection
Also in the next section you may have to manually type you desired resolution. Try googling to find xorg.conf and you monitor. You'll find something.

Someone prove to me that I over complicated this, and that it is really just a simple thing.!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

jasost wrote:Than you for the help

I edited the conf file via text editor and it worked, I now have the right resolution.

Than you so much, that was the only problem but now it works perfectly.

Again many thanks.

//jasost
Glad to be of assistance

Return to “Beginner Questions”