Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
crazybilly

Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Post by crazybilly »

I'm new to LMDE and Debian in general--I've been a long time Ubuntu user. Clearly things are a bit different on Debian with regard to what repos do what (the fact that I installed LMDE the day before Squeeze was released has ratcheted up my confusion level).

Is there an article or two out there already that I can read through to understand what's going on and what repos I should and shouldn't use to get what results (I'm uninformed enough that I don't really know what at this point ;))?

I'm also curious about adding repos outsides the main ones: Ubuntu ppas, other personal repos, etc....

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Post by richyrich »

Might want to bookmark this one. Craig updates it regularly . . :mrgreen:

http://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/

caution: be very careful with mixing debian and ubuntu repositories . . NOT recommended !
jeffreyC

Re: Required reading for repo/software source mgmt?

Post by jeffreyC »

If you do decide to use Ubuntu packages in Debian make sure you have a separate home partition, it makes reinstalling much easier.
I would suggest only installing packages which do not need dependencies from Ubuntu, so you don't end up trying to run some sort of hybrid made up of two distros which are not really compatible.

Return to “LMDE Archive”