I want to learn Python, with which GUI? Glade, PyGTK, Wx?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

I want to learn Python, with which GUI? Glade, PyGTK, Wx?

Post by carltonh »

I'm a non-programmer teaching myself Python. I'm curious which GUI is best to learn to go with it. Any opinions on the best resources to learn this? I'm learning the Python basics from various references at http://www.Python.org which seem good.

Any opinions on Free Software Python programing projects that a beginner might have some useful part?

Just as a background, I'm an accountant, and so this is a big change, and probably never will be enough to make a career of it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Nearly all mint tools were written in Python and use Glade GUIs:)

Check out /usr/lib/linuxmint/ in your computer and have a look in there.

I personally use Gedit to edit the python code (.py files), glade-2 to edit the graphical interface (it lets you design your GUI with the mouse and it saves that in a .glade file which is basically written in XML).

A simple example would be mintDesktop:

gksu gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintDesktop/mintDesktop_frontend.py &
gksu glade-2 /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintDesktop/mintDesktop_frontend.glade&

The python program basically points a the glade file and starts using objects from it... very simple, have a look at the code.

Good luck and enjoy these technologies.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

By the way... Glade is just the tool to design GTK interfaces in XML... and pyGTK is just the name for the python bindings for GTK.

Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ive been learning python for about 6 months now, you should check out anjuta, it integrates with glade nicely

Return to “Chat about Linux”