/bin/sh: can't access tty...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint freedrivers
Please don't post a new topic at the end of an old one
If you make a New topic you are noticed among unanswered posts and the chances are you get an answer much faster
And it happened to be in one of "my threads", somewhere else it might have been unnoticed

This problem is unfortunately well known to us
There may be two culprits
Your video - use safe graphics mode
The chipset
To fix that (this is taken fromthe Ubuntu forum)
you are getting this error (and you have a SATA harddrive); this is the fix:

At the LiveCD initial boot screen:
o Select F6 for more options
o Add the following option to the beginning of the options list:
break=top
o Press enter to start booting
Ubuntu will start booting, but kick you out to a command prompt; at the prompt type these two commands:
modprobe piix
exit

You will now boot into the LiveCD normally.
Test break=button this "nonsense command" let some people get into a real command line environment - not the hopeless busy box
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Your problem is most likely not related to video as the vesa driver will not work.
I will have to look around for a solution but that takes a while
I know that others have managed to install with the same or at least similar chipset after some help
Husse

Post by Husse »

A post in German with lots of links to possible solutions in english is this one
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/103720/15/
I you read german good - if not try the links :)
One thing to do is to add
all_generic_ide
to the kernel parameters
also add
vga=771 noapic nosplash
to the kernel parameters
Adding is done by pressing F6 at the Live CD boot splash
The nosplash makes it possible for you to see errors
The error you have is just "the front end" to a bunch of different errors
If any of these means success you probably have to add it in the installed version as well
To do that do not reboot immediately the install is ready
Instead navigate to /etc/boot/grub/menu.lst (on the hard drive) and add what you added above at the end of the line that begins with kernel

Code: Select all

kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro <add your option here> quiet 
Don't remember if you should remove quiet or not....

This is probably partly because the kernel does not fully support the 965 chipset - not sure about Gutsy but hopefully the support is better

Return to “Beginner Questions”