Can't see wireless networks using LMDE (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Can't see wireless networks using LMDE (SOLVED)

Post by professorsnapper »

Folks,

I'm happily using LMDE on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook, with only a couple of networking issues:
1) I can't see any wireless networks. Other posts about wireless on LM10 suggest the following - I'm keen to see if this advice is valid for LMDE...
"On Synaptic look for package "linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.36-maverick-generic" and install it (2 packages). Then reboot.
It worked for me."
2) My broadband mobile USB dongle (provider: Virgin Mobile, in Australia) sometimes connects, and sometimes doesn't, from the same location within a coverage area. I followed a HOWTO that got it set up and successfully working, but since then, it's been "hit and miss" as to whether it works or not.

My system is fully updated, but this hasn't seemed to fix the problem (at least for issue #1 above - I've yet to check if issue #2 is any different.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Snapper.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't see wireless networks using LMDE

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Wireless
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Please open a terminal and input:

Code: Select all

lspci
Then post the output, though more specifically a line that might look similar to:
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Then you'll know what sort of firmware you need. There is a wireless thread on here for broadcom and perhaps other wireless flavors, you may need to install b43-fwcutter but it depends on which adapter you have. I'm off to work shortly but hopefully someone else can assist further when you've got that info.
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Ah, CiaW, thanks.

The result of running that terminal command was (in part):
07:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

Will await further word on the next step...

...do you reckon installing the firmware may also fix issue #2 I raised, which relates to patchy connection with a USB wireless broadband dongle?

Thanks,
Snapper.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Some good advice for the RTL8188CE in link below, with instructions (post # 7), and a download link that works (post # 5) . . :) . .
http://guide.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580036
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

richyrich wrote:Some good advice for the RTL8188CE in link below, with instructions (post # 7), and a download link that works (post # 5) . . :) . .
http://guide.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580036
Hi richyrich,

Thanks a heap - I checked that out, and have downloaded the file as suggested.

For the command-line savvy user, this thread could be marked "solved" at this stage - for me, however, I'm still having some difficulty with CLI. I've got the current "build-essential whatsit, but get errors when I try to run the "make" command about failure to specify target (from memory)... I've deposited the Realtek file on my desktop, and in the terminal I think I've navigated to the desktop OK with cd / desktop, and I can see the makefile within the downloaded folder, but I've yet to get my outcome...

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Snapper.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Hi Snapper,

I actually just went to linux wireless to see if they had anything on your device, and they didn't. (8187 and 8189 but no 8188...) So I visited the ubuntu thread and the instructions look pretty straight-forward, but it may be you weren't in the correct folder if you're not familiar with CLI or working in a terminal window.

So what you can do from the gui / desktop is open the home folder on your desktop and do you know where you extracted the driver file? If so you should then go to that folder if it's in your /home directory, right click on the folder and select 'open terminal here' and it'll open a terminal in that location. Then you can type make and make install. But, if those commands aren't in your regular users path statement it may give you an error. If so, then type 'exit' to close that terminal and right click on the folder and select 'open as administrator' and it'll ask for the password, then try the make and make install again.

Hopefully that'll work. Also I'd suggest making sure you have a safe copy of the driver file you downloaded in case you need it again.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p374889

This is how I fixed my wireless issue on a Lenovo T410.

The procedures should be similar, but make sure you read the text file with the Driver you downloaded.

Good Luck,
Dave
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks again, folks.

I followed CiaW's latest suggestion, and can now see wireless networks - looks like that's solved.

Subsequent to doing this, my mobile broadband dongle has begun working again - a coincidence or not, I wonder? In any event, I'll mark this thread solved, and if the mobile broadband plays up again, I'll presume it's an issue unrelated to the Realtek driver and I'll open a separate thread.

Again, thanks for your help, all! (Performs a sweeping bow)

Snapper.

Return to “LMDE Archive”