Hello World!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Asterisk

Hello World!

Post by Asterisk »

*Stands up* My name is Asterisk, or * for short, and I am a Linux user.

Hi, Asterisk.

I don't feel like giving dates, so assume the timeline with the different versions of Ubuntu and Mint.

I first started messing around with *nix-based systems back when I was a freshman in high school a couple years ago with Ubuntu 8.10. That kept failing, so I got 8.04, instead. I first got into Linux Mint when my dad told me all about the different *nix systems, and said that so far Mint was his favorite. I decided to wipe my old Dell Dimension 2400 and dual-boot with Ubuntu 8.04 and Mint 7. Mint decided it hated me, and wouldn't boot at all, causing me to become a new owner of a large paperweight. I said,"Screw it," and reinstalled XP. Well, Linux Mint 8 got the best of me, so I installed that. Again, after a few months of running nicely, the computer quit. Linux Mint 9 has not graced my systems. XP was my OS of choice for a long while, due to an iPod as well as general laziness. Before my dad was deployed to Iraq summer 2010, we went to a Barnes & Noble and were looking at magazines. A certain magazine who's name escapes my mind caught my eye, and before I knew it, I had promised my dad to build a computer while he was gone. Well, that computer now adorns my desk, and the specs are as follows:

1 TB Seagate HD
3.4 GHz AMD AM3 Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Rosewill R220 case
Corsair TX720w PSU
Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard
Sony Optiarc Dual Layer DVD +/- RW
Geil Black Dragon 4 GB 240-pin DDR2 1066 RAM
Asus ML238H 23" OLED HD monitor
Linux Mint 10 64-bit

As you can see, I still lack a video card, as well as Windows 7 for games, since this was originally intended to be a gaming rig, as well as a system for my phone that has a Zune player, which is unusable on Linux. However, since I love Mint so much, I will dual-boot this and Windows 7.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Hello World!

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Asterisk. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome to the Mint Community, *

The title of your introduction reminded me of a cartoon I saw a few days ago.
http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/geekandp ... -born.html
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Asterisk,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
Asterisk

Post by Asterisk »

Thanks, everyone. Even though it's my second day here, I'm already liking it :D
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

I'm glad to see you have a Linux Mint version that you like, I find it superior to Ubuntu and a few others that I have tried.
By the way when I get home I want that old paper weight of yours to install Puppy Linux on.
Asterisk

Post by Asterisk »

@Lostwithaclue

Hey, dad. How's the weather? :D
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Cool and sunny, it only got up to around 75 today.
I'm glad you are making use of the resources from the is board. This is better than any documentation you can get with any system. You are able to ask specific questions relating to your issues and not general issues and how to deal with them.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”