network connection dropping

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dodgefan

network connection dropping

Post by dodgefan »

hey! loving LMDE. but my network connection drops all the time, at least once a day. i have to right click the icon and click my connection to connect again. it is checked to connect automatically. this has not happened with other gnome installs in arch or mint proper.

anyone have this issue? its not my router or dsl modem and my other PCs stay connected when my LMDE box drops
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MattDobson

Re: network connection dropping

Post by MattDobson »

I get the same, and for some reason my internet is quite slow as well.
dodgefan

Post by dodgefan »

anyone?
mising

Post by mising »

I just noticed mine doing this last night a few hours after a fresh install. I can reconnect by simply clicking the network icon in the tray and selecting "auto eth1", but I need this PC to stay available 24/7 due to it running my VOIP setup. I have had several other Linux distros on it, with Ubuntu 10.10 being the latest before installing LMDE yesterday. This never happened previously. I notice it mostly when I have to wake up the monitor, so maybe power management issues?. The only relevant change I can think I made was checking "Spin hard drive down when possible" under Power Management in the control center. I just unchecked it, and will see if it disconnects again tonight.
dodgefan

Post by dodgefan »

forgot about this thread, i switched back to Mint main edition so i dont have that issue anymore
JpBя
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JpBя »

Anybody ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same issue.
ccroom

Post by ccroom »

Not sure this will help but you can remove connection manager and install wicd to see if maintains a connection. Don't know if that will help but worth a try.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

ccroom wrote:Not sure this will help but you can remove connection manager and install wicd to see if maintains a connection. Don't know if that will help but worth a try.
Only problem with this is that Wicd does NOT support USB Modems and Network-Manager does.

I like Network-Manager better than Wicd and I feel it connects through WiFi better and easier.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I always use a USB Modem and I had the same problem last year, with the constant 'dropping' of the connection.

In a terminal type:

Code: Select all

sudo service networking start
sudo service network-manager restart
These CLI commands will get the network-manager working and will, also, restart the NM applet.

There is a .config file you need to amend to make this 'fix' permanent . . . but, for the life of me, I can't remember it.
mising

Post by mising »

ccroom wrote:Not sure this will help but you can remove connection manager and install wicd to see if maintains a connection. Don't know if that will help but worth a try.
This worked for me! I installed wicd, went to startup programs and unchecked network manager, rebooted and have not had to reconnect eth1 since. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “LMDE Archive”