[SOLVED] Low disc space warning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Low disc space warning

Post by Husse »

Seems there is no low disk warning - should be I think
Don't know how easy it is to fix this
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Low disc space warning

Post by Acid_1 »

You should organize it and post it in the how-to's. :D
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Great post Jerther!

By the way Ive never seen a warning message on my main system mainly because my hdd is not near full, while running on LM 6 Felicia KDE live dvd, I have seen a warning message at least twice due to the fact that its running on ram. It was after installing some program with the live dvd that was too big to fit in the ram space :oops:

Oh well, what can I say? I was experimenting! :D

My guess is this warning message script may already be installed out of the box perhaps???
ericinwisconsin

Re: Low disc space warning

Post by ericinwisconsin »

Version_3 wrote:Not sure about a program that does it. I use Conky to monitor percentages.

However, when I feel I need to do some clean up, I hop into Terminal and run the command

Code: Select all

du | sort -nr | more
This will give you a listing of disk usage in the order of largest to smallest. Great for locating what's really taking up room, and not as time consuming as looking via Nautilus.
Great idea! The only thing I would add is the -h option to du...

du -h | sort -nr | more
This gives you a human-readable number. For example:

89K		./.mozilla
instead of

89268	./.mozilla
Much easier for these tired old eyes...
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi :
To all , that was very enlightening. I had the same problem with my version of Mint4. When I put it to the Great Mint Forum, The reply was " reset your partition in your Hard Drive that relates to that specific situation.
When I accessed my partition ,I was surprised to find only 100Mb. free, so, I edited the partition to a few more Gb.'s
and that fixed the problem.Once again ,thanks to the Great Forum Members,
cato40 :D
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I had a low disc warning several days ago. Couldn't work it out, had over 100gig free in home, and root was fine. Finally deduced it was complaining one of my storag drives was near full, so moved some of it's content to the other 1TB drive, evened them out. *shrug*
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

Jerther wrote:My girlfriend's laptop started doing strange things and crashing programs until I read one of the crashed program error: Disc is full, but that was after she lost all her torrents in Deluge...

So I did a little clean up and everything is back to normal. But besides the error message, she claims seeing no warning of low disc space.

Isn't Mint (or any OS at all) supposed to warn when system disc is becoming low?

Jerther, I know Windows does have, or had in older editions, a Low Disk Warning. I'm thinking any system should have it as a failsafe against crashes and data loss.......
Ever since hard drives went so big and so cheap I never had to worry about running out of disk space.
My advice is not to store torrent stuff onto the system-home partition but to set a partition for data only. Also periodically move stuff from PC to external media (USB external HDD or even DVD)
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
kai3345

Post by kai3345 »

If they could maybe add a feature that says it? It would help a lot.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Maybe people could just pay attention to how much free space is available on their drives, and how quickly they're filling them up. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

As far as I remember - Isadora 9 Gnome does give a warning when disk space is real low.
I have encountered it when running via WUBI, probably there is a difference when the OS installed independently
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Just tried ripping a bunch of dvds earlier, and got a complaint about low disc space, as was running out of room for completed jobs on laptop drive. Mint 9. So, it appears we DO get such warnings.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Here's a little advice I have. I don't know how technically sound it is, but just hear me out.

If you get a low disk space warning, and it doesn't make sense or the evidence says otherwise, back your files the heck up immediately and don't turn off your computer!

Last time this happened to me I didn't back up my files, and when I turned my computer back on it wouldn't boot. My drive was corrupted and I couldn't practically get anything back. Backing up is a good precaution.
jamied_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jamied_uk »

Mozenrath wrote:Here's a little advice I have. I don't know how technically sound it is, but just hear me out.

If you get a low disk space warning, and it doesn't make sense or the evidence says otherwise, back your files the heck up immediately and don't turn off your computer!

Last time this happened to me I didn't back up my files, and when I turned my computer back on it wouldn't boot. My drive was corrupted and I couldn't practically get anything back. Backing up is a good precaution.

i have installed mint 9 inside windows using 25 gb and the host drive even says there is 1 tb or more available space but inside my home folder it sais 50 kb only available (everything is slow like this is really the case)

but how can i solve this with very little steps as this is important also you can get your data back using get data back for ntfs for example use google for this (you must install xp or vista 1st to get this goin but it will work).

SOLVED >>> http://jnet.forumn.biz/t107-free-up-spa ... easely#143
manoka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by manoka »

Jerther wrote:... But besides the error message, she claims seeing no warning of low disc space.

Isn't Mint (or any OS at all) supposed to warn when system disc is becoming low?
The "Low Disk Space" warning surely works on my Mint 9 OS.
But there is a square one can click on, with the text: "Don't show any warnings again".
Maybe somebody clicked on this, so you just would have to find out how to activate this warning again.

Cheerios

manoka
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

Jerther wrote:Low disc space warning
The "gnome-settings-daemon" has a plugin called "housekeeping".

This is causing the "Low disc space" warning.
Jerther wrote:She claims seeing no warning of low disc space.
Maybe you need to reinstall it?
Last edited by Ikem on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

Mozenrath wrote:If you get a low disk space warning, and it doesn't make sense or the evidence says otherwise, backup your files the heck up immediately and don't turn off your computer!

Last time this happened to me I didn't back up my files, and when I turned my computer back on it wouldn't boot. My drive was corrupted and I couldn't practically get anything back.
Did the drive worked later?
Mozenrath wrote:Backing up is a good precaution.
I have so much data on my disk, that would take ages.

The good thing is, I backup my stuff online.
minties

Post by minties »

The low disk space warning works in LM 12. I've had it happen for the first time today. It even shows how much disk space is remaining with each warning. Got my first warning with 250mb remaining, then another warning with 200mb remaing. I deleted 2gb of stuff, and the warnings disappeared.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

FWIW, KDE has the warning built in, but you have to set it up in System Settings-->Notifications. I'll assume it works, although I haven't run into the problem yet.
Mint17 KDE
Hairman

Post by Hairman »

I AM SEARCHING FOR AN ANSWER AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING I FOUND CLOSE. I DO HAVE A LOW DISC SPACE ON MY /USR PARTITION. I HAVE SPACE IN THE OTHER END OF MY HDD. HOW CAN I COPY AND MOVE THIS PARTITION, OR IS IT NOT POSSIBLE? I CANNOT DELETE ANYTHING FROM THE PARTION USR. THANKS. SORRY IF THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE, BUT I COULD NOT FIND MUCH ABOUT THIS ISSUE. CHEERS, HAIRMAN.
caperash

Post by caperash »

I also have this problem and have been unable to find anything in the forum addressing it, even though this thread says it is 'solved'.

I have only 40k free and usually cannot open up the program.

Linux installed itself on a secondary hard drive with less free space than the primary one.

I gather uninstalling is very difficult (also no instructions, forum unclear).

I want to switch to Linux permanently but am not a sophisticated user despite having been on the computer since the early 1980's. I am finding it very hard to understand what is going on and think that Mint should come up with a much better Help Manual or something online with major issues clearly explained. The forum is way to vast, unstructured and haphazard, both thematically and chronologically.

I have tried 3 times in the past 7 years to switch over but each time find I get stumped by something for which no apparent solution emerges so I reluctantly go back to Windows where at least I can understand things like Hard Disk usage, partitions and so on.

Perhaps I should have backed up everything in an external drive (I don't yet have) and then started with totally fresh hard disk for Linux, but I am not ready to entirely abandon Windows until I know I can survive in Mint.

Anyway, what do I do with this low memory given that I have tons of free space on a different drive and partition but not much in the partition Linux arbitrarily selected during installation?

Do I have to re-install? Or what?

Any help appreciated as long as it has clear steps, otherwise will not be able to figure out.

Thxs!

Return to “Beginner Questions”