dependency of mintinstall package

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eon

dependency of mintinstall package

Post by Eon »

Hi,
I installed mintInstall on pure Debian (squeeze) without installing any mint meta packages. It didn't work at first, but I found that python-aptdaemon was not working, and this was because aptdaemon and python-pkg-resources were not installed.
I think these packages (aptdaemon, python-pkg-resources) should be added to the dependency list of mintinstall.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: dependency of mintinstall package

Post by DrHu »

Eon wrote:..I think these packages (aptdaemon, python-pkg-resources) should be added to the dependency list of mintinstall.
Presumably they would be there if you had used the LMDE (Mint's Debian version)
  • I doubt you could expect the developers to include a dependency that is not needed in their own distribution to enable a mix (hybrid) or custom installation of an upstream version
I can see a Mint developer thinking that just doesn't make any sense to us
--then again, I won't know for sure how they might think on it.
Eon

Post by Eon »

I know this is a minor-minor issue, and I don't expect developers to change (not 'fix') the dependency immediately.
But there ARE some people who want to use mint tools on pure Debian, and, you know, it's nothing harmful to keep backward-compatibility.

Anyway, I hope this post give some help to those who seeks to install mintInstall on Debian :wink:
m2xtreme

Post by m2xtreme »

Eon wrote:I know this is a minor-minor issue, and I don't expect developers to change (not 'fix') the dependency immediately.
But there ARE some people who want to use mint tools on pure Debian, and, you know, it's nothing harmful to keep backward-compatibility.

Anyway, I hope this post give some help to those who seeks to install mintInstall on Debian :wink:
Thanks Eon, you just solved my problem!

I have built a system from a minimal Debian install so I was having trouble running mintinstall. Turns out I was missing aptdaemon. I highly recommend anyone having issues with mintinstall (aka Mint Software Manager) to also try installing:

Code: Select all

aptdaemon python-pkg-resources
Additionally, I strongly disagree with DrHu about not being able to expect developers to include these as dependencies. While it's understandable how the developers may have neglected to include it in the dependencies list, it is not in the best interest of Linux Mint to the make such assumptions. The strength of a distribution comes from it's user base, so leaving out any dependencies makes the distro seem sloppy :-(

I really don't mean to start a flame war or anything, I think Mint is a fantastic distrobution, but I felt strongly enough about this to register for this forum and make this point...

The biggest complaint I have had about Mint in the past is it's "mintifying" of everything. It is in the best interest of both Mint and the Linux community as a whole for Mint to maximize it's interoperability between distros. This means Mint should demintify it's packages (which Clem himself has stated) AND Mint should list all of the dependencies for it's packages. Otherwise, people will get fed up and simply fork their project. In fact, I have been contemplating forking mintmenu because it forces users to use Mint's custom search engine for Google searches (among other reasons). The biggest reason I have yet to fork it is because I know that Mint makes tons of money from those searches and I would feel bad taking that funding away from the community... and as we all know, it's better to spoon than to fork ;-)

Anyways... HUGE thanks to Eon for this helpful thread!

Eon, have you filed a bug report for this?

Return to “Software & Applications”