[solved]ndiswarapper vs. 2.6.37 kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pottzie

[solved]ndiswarapper vs. 2.6.37 kernel

Post by pottzie »

I spent a few hours trying to get ndiswrapper working, along with downloading the driver. It didn't work, but it didn't kill anything either, so I'm sad that I have to keep using my "G" wireless receiver and not the "N" type that I have, but the system isn't any worse for my effort.
I ran a Google search to see if there was any news about when the 2.6.37 kernel is going to be released, as it's supposed to have a bunch of "N" drivers included, and maybe I can stop beating my head against a code wall and just plug into USB port and enjoy, like I've come to expect from Linux. I found a page from Debian that shows how to upgrade to a new kernel, but don't know what would happen if I tried it. I'm afraid this old box would blow up and send computer shrapnel flying. I also saw that Ubuntu is going to use 2.6.37 in it's 11.4 release, and that there's an aplha download available. I did download it, but when I ran it, it wouldn't load on either of my computers-although it could have been a bad download, as I've never seen anything download a CD's worth of info that quick! It downloaded faster than Puppy!
Anyone have any thoughts abut the pain/gain ratio of getting the new kernel vs. waiting for the spring thaw before having it? And how does Debian update kernels, anyway?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ndiswarapper vs. 2.6.37 kernel

Post by Silent Warrior »

One thing you could try is, of course, to compile the new kernel yourself. An 'Expert' operation, yes, but if you can somehow get Debian's base configuration and work from that, it should work. Or at least not blow up your system. :) I mean, Grub keeps separate kernels, so if the new one doesn't work, just boot the old kernel and uninstall your home-made one. The catch is that it'll take time to download the source code, time to extract it (and lots of HD-space to spare), time to go through the configurations if you want to change anything, and LOTS AND LOTS of time to compile.

Or you could just wait for a while yet. I mean, I THINK I saw this new kernel in either the Experimental or Unstable repositories, but... Uh, why don't you look at the topic I just posted on the subject of using Experimental? Installing the new kernel should be safe enough, just fight any and all temptations to grab anything else from there. I mean it.
burtb08

Post by burtb08 »

I am running 2.6.37-1 from Liquorix.
pottzie

Post by pottzie »

Just installed liquiorix, ran it, and it installed the 2.6.37 kernel-with no problems so far. Looks good from here. It unfortunately still doesn't just take off and run with the Linksys wusb300 I'm trying to get to work with Debian...but the Belkin G receiver that I'm apparently stuck with seems to be working a lot better now, with a stronger signal and it doesn't disconnect after 15 minutes as it seemed to do before 2.6.37. All good as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks a heap!

Return to “LMDE Archive”