Re-Install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Beardedragon

Re-Install

Post by Beardedragon »

Don't ask me why, but, just re-installed LMDE amd64 to the tune of 431 updates. Must be because Squeeze came out of testing. Thought someone might want to know if they decide to do this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GSXR750L

Re: Re-Install

Post by GSXR750L »

Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

Thanks, I checked it out.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I just rebuilt my LMDE today and there were alot. Got mine in 2 wavs
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

willie42 wrote:I just rebuilt my LMDE today and there were alot. Got mine in 2 wavs
Actually I had Saline OS installed thinking I might like the more stable branch, but, I ran into trouble and came back to Mint (Again) SIGH. Good Old Dependable Mint.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Welcome back :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I was wondering why I had 104 updates today?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

rdonnelly wrote:I was wondering why I had 104 updates today?
Keep up with the Forums. :lol:
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

Beardedragon wrote:
willie42 wrote:I just rebuilt my LMDE today and there were alot. Got mine in 2 wavs
Actually I had Saline OS installed thinking I might like the more stable branch, but, I ran into trouble and came back to Mint (Again) SIGH. Good Old Dependable Mint.
Me too.
Hi Beardedrgon
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

cristobal wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
Me too.
Hi Beardedrgon
Hi Cristobal, thought I recognized your Avatar. I'm back with Saline updated. Still working with LMDE too. You've been guesting on that other OS too. It has something going for it, Xfce from scratch in Debian. That's why I have it.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

Yes I've been guesting. I deleted my account on their forums. While I was severely criticizing saline a funny thing happened, the Arch entries disappeared from my grub.conf. I checked and the file properties showed that it had just been modified.

I discovered this when I could no longer dual boot Arch. Could be just a coincidence, but it probably wasn't wise of me to criticize such knowledgeable people while logged into their forum.

My debian OS started as saline, so I'm reminding myself what I couldn't do with or didn't like about it, while converting it to LMDE.
Last edited by cristobal on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I just cloned my LMDE partition today with Clonezilla, cause I don't want to have to get 400+ updates and reinstall all the packages when I screw up the system. :wink:
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

516 updates installed today from the 2011 respin...ask me how I know :(
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

It is kind of funng that Debian was touted as the Distro you only have to install once. I reinstalled it more then any other Mint Distro as well :lol:

I guess that I why I thought cloning a backup is a good idea :idea:
Last edited by rdonnelly on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Funny you say that, because I've felt the same way.

For all the abuse given to ubuntu for its "instability", "breaking", "crashing", "bricking".....and for all the hype of how LMDE debian is so stable, and it just "works"....

And with all due respect to you and other readers, it just ain't so....not for me. (Your mileage may vary-yes, I know).

Consider:

My Mint 10 Julia 32 bit pc has had none -repeat, none- of the issues I've had to post on this forum regarding LMDE. And my Mint 9 LTS is going well, too.

However, LMDE is just plain lighter and faster on my ~ 6yr old Dell laptop compared to Mint 10 Julia, and uses less resources. But, geez, at what ultimate cost? Reloading LMDE on an almost monthly cycle saves me nothing vs Mint 10 Julia using a little more memory and cpu power.

Clonezilla has become an absolute necessity in my working with LMDE....My system has been bricked on more than one occasion by the MINT update process! I keep LMDE 2011 respin, 32 bit, permanently loaded on a usb pen drive!

The LMDE forum is marvelous. I've learned so very much here....but trying to find "hard copy" reference material (books) on debian/LMDE is extremely difficult..vs the plethera of books available for Mint 10/ ie ubuntu versions.

I like the idea of LMDE, and what the Mint Dev team is trying to do with it. But, as of this date, and in my humble opinion, and as Clem says "Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges."

What are some of the rough edges I have, you may ask? Here's a quick 5...

1.) hibernate doesn't work
2.) Keyboard Shortcut = Ctl+Alt+Del wrongfully displays "system monitor"
3.) foomatic rip error when printing
4.) ufw/Samba configuration
5.) bluetooth printing

<EDIT> and I haven't even brought up the installation process, and pesky SWAP issues....

My uses are fairly basic....internet, email, pictures from my job, Open Office, simple printing-- direct to a home printer, and wireless to a hp printer connected to a windows 7 pc...and (I wish) bluetooth printing to an hp mobile printer. All the aforementioned are flawless in Mint 9 and Mint 10, but not in LMDE.

Yes, LMDE has come a long way since its 2010 introduction, but in my opinion, still has a way to go. ( And yes, your mileage may vary).

<Edit> This is not a "witch hunt" on my part, as I will continue to use LMDE....

Just my thoughts here.
Last edited by malligt on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

rdonnelly wrote:It is kind of funng that Debian was touted as the Distro you only have to install once. I reinstalled it more then any other Mint Distro as well :lol:

I guess that I why I though cloning a backup is a good idea :idea:
I think it is Linux Mint Debian Edition that is touted as "install it once" distro, because it is a rolling release based on testing.
That is what I like about both LMDE and Arch Linux. They're both rolling releases.
Quantumboredom

Post by Quantumboredom »

rdonnelly wrote:It is kind of funng that Debian was touted as the Distro you only have to install once. I reinstalled it more then any other Mint Distro as well :lol:

I guess that I why I though cloning a backup is a good idea :idea:
Probably in relation to Debian stable :)

Backing up the system partition before major updates is very nice, I'll be trying out Clonezilla myself (I've used FSArchiver previously). Considering how easily Linux can break if you want good (i.e. non-open) graphics card drivers, Linux needs system restore much more than Windows ever did.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Deleted
Last edited by rdonnelly on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

rdonnelly wrote:LMDE may be high maintenance, but the ladies will love you for it :mrgreen:

]
Is that a Ubuntu logo on her left shoulder? Nice paint job.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

In case y'all weren't aware, women do actually use LMDE and frequent these forums. As one of those women, I'm trying to decide if that picture and the whole line of reasoning for posting it is offensive or not... :shock:

Return to “LMDE Archive”