Installation Complaint

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Installation Complaint

Post by malligt »

Today, I installed LMDE 2011, 32 bit, originally downloaded from the heanet mirror.

After the initial install, the installer asked me to remove the usb drive, and restart...which I did.

After the restart, the blue icon appeared at the bottom of the screen, telling me I have available updates.

Instead of using mintupdate, I opted for the terminal "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" process.

Everything was going well for a while, and then.....the terminal displayed a message from Cristophe Berg ....and displayed "end"

then everything just stopped....can't go forward...can't go backward. Froze.

Thought you might want to know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installation Complaint

Post by TBABill »

Hmmmmm. I'm not sure. I just did it on my machine to duplicate your issue and it worked fine. But there are multiple posts in the LMDE forum about x issues so I'm wondering if it's a gdm issue or other xserver type issue you are faced with. I'd suggest searching the LMDE forum for the exact problem you think may have happened and also search the Debian forums looking for others running testing that had a similar failure after an update.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

malligt wrote:. . . then everything just stopped....can't go forward...can't go backward. Froze.

Thought you might want to know.
Did you get this fixed? If you did ... what did you do to fix this?

Reboot? Re-install? Re-try the sudo update/upgrade process - again? Mint Update?

Inquiring minds want to know? :P
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Yes---Hardware you installed on---ATI/Nvidia/Intel video? System logs?
cecar

Post by cecar »

Did you try to press q at the screen where it stops?
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

A Dell 8400 desktop computer with 3.2 ghz P4, 1 GB RAM, 160GB hdd,....nVidia GeForce 7300

I reinstalled the LMDE (again), and went the "conventional path" of the GUI for the updates immediately after the installer completed.

Then did the "sudo apt-get....".

Everything was OK with that procedure.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Glad it finally worked for you.

Sometimes, a re-install is what you need to do.

As time goes on and you use GNU/Linux more and more . . . you'll learn how to 'fix' these things yourself.

I have learned so much in the few years, I've been using Linux and OpenSource . . . still have lots more to learn, though. :(
I primarily, use Debian and it's derivatives . . . such as, LMDE.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

as cecar said you just had press q in the screen where the terminal stopped and the update would continue.
If you watch closely, you have a similar screen updating though synaptic, but in that case a close button is available.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Thank you all for the "q" information. I thought my computer was frozen. Heck, maybe it was, but we'll never know because of my reinstalling LMDE.

Consider:

But, would it not be BETTER to have that "q" information on the terminal?

I really mean it. Seriously, if we can have Christophe Berg's name appearing on the terminal, why can't we have, press "q" to continue?

The idea being to smooth the rough edges of LMDE (already under fire) so that all users of vastly different skill levels (newbies to "old-timers") could easily glide through the update/upgrade process...

In my opinion, this could/should be implemented at the source....

I've had no problems with this screen using the synaptic route....so isn't the point already made?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yes you have a point here, but please consider that the source is Debian and not Mint and probably they consider that info "unnecessary" - if you are running Debian there're a few things they assume you know :lol:
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Thank you for your reply.....

My interest, and I hope your own, is to attract, and capture NEW PERSONS to this distro called LMDE ,and make it as simple as possible for any skill-set level to have a permanent and positive life-long MINT experience.....and IMHO ,that was not the way to do it.

Best regards!

Return to “LMDE Archive”