LMDE 64 Mintupdate icon gone

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE 64 Mintupdate icon gone

Post by SunWorks »

Hello,
Just getting LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) 64 up and running, but my kicker icon for mint update is gone.

Followed the suggestions on this forum page: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&p=194312 but can only get the icon to come up by manually clicking Alt-F2 and running
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py
After rebooting, the icon is not there and the only way I can get it up is the above procedure.

I am running a
  • Dell Inspiron 530 tower
  • quad-core cpu,
  • 6gb RAM,
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 460 video card.
Help is appreciated!
Thank you,
Clinton
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anzan

Re: LMDE 64 Mintupdate icon gone

Post by anzan »

Just a guess and it's a GUI-ish thing but start it, click the preferences and change the icon to something else. Even change it back if you want. This might kick something in the nethers.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

anzan wrote:Just a guess and it's a GUI-ish thing but start it, click the preferences and change the icon to something else. Even change it back if you want. This might kick something in the nethers.
Yeah... I hear you and it's worth a try. What folder are the current ones in?

I started to give this a shot... but then realized I do not know where the originals are stored, so I stopped because I want/need to be able to restore what I've got now.

thank you.
blacksilva

Post by blacksilva »

SunWorks wrote:
anzan wrote:Just a guess and it's a GUI-ish thing but start it, click the preferences and change the icon to something else. Even change it back if you want. This might kick something in the nethers.
Yeah... I hear you and it's worth a try. What folder are the current ones in?

I started to give this a shot... but then realized I do not know where the originals are stored, so I stopped because I want/need to be able to restore what I've got now.

thank you.

Well I use gnome but maybe the directory's would be the same. The directory for the old icons is...
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/icons/old

Dont know if your still looking for them but if so i hope this helps you.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

blacksilva wrote: Well I use gnome but maybe the directory's would be the same. The directory for the old icons is...
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/icons/old

Dont know if your still looking for them but if so i hope this helps you.
Thanks for replying... yes it is still a problem.

I've been manually starting it up when I turn on the computer... it's a pain! The file path you provide at least gives me a good starting point to know what to look for.

Will check it out when I get home. Thanks!
blacksilva

Post by blacksilva »

No problem. Hope it helps you out some.

Im having the same problem as you are. luckily mine will sometimes tell me when i have updates. It will flash at the top when it checks for updates and really i just put the update manager application in my docky bar and so now all i need to do is click it and let it check if it does not work.

Return to “LMDE Archive”