Virtualbox 4

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
madwoollything

Virtualbox 4

Post by madwoollything »

I noticed that after a recent update that virtualbox-ose had been upgraded to the latest version 4.0.2
I've tried running virtualbox but with no success and went back to version 3.2 the non-free version in the repos. All is now fine.

The question is, has anyone got virtualbox 4 running on LMDE and what do you need to do to get it to work?
(I googled the various error messages I was receiving but only got links to old Ubuntu posts and nothing on LMDE)

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Virtualbox 4

Post by Habitual »

Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Go to the Oracle Virtualbox download page here

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

and either get the .deb package for Debian Squeeze or copy the repo from farther down the page into your sources.list and install Vbox 4.04 from Package Manager.

I recommend the second course as this will provide you with updates via mint Update as they become available (that's how I got version 4.04)

BTW, Virtualbox 4.xx runs great on LMDE as long as you get the proper (Debian) package.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

I'm running the latest version obtained from the repos.
Was there any error message?
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marlar »

I am running VirtualBox 4 too and it works great. I especially like the ability to put a shortcut to a VM on the desktop.

I used the deb package for the Oracle version.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Go to the Oracle Virtualbox download page here

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

and either get the .deb package for Debian Squeeze or copy the repo from farther down the page into your sources.list and install Vbox 4.04 from Package Manager.

I recommend the second course as this will provide you with updates via mint Update as they become available (that's how I got version 4.04)

BTW, Virtualbox 4.xx runs great on LMDE as long as you get the proper (Debian) package.
I went down the same path with adding the repositories and installing yesterday, and have no problems so far. I have Windows XP installed in a VM and I'm in the process of installing a few programs that I still haven't found good (for me) Linux alternatives for...

A thing worth mentioning if downloading from the webpage is that the "extension"-package that gives support for (among other things) USB 2 is a general package located one "level up" (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) from the above link.
- Maybe that's just me, but I didn't find these extensions in my Software manager, so I downloaded those directly instead...
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

kwevej wrote:I'm running the latest version obtained from the repos.
Was there any error message?
Error message when trying to use upgraded version of virtualbox:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908). The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

kernel-headers installed?

Code: Select all

uname -r
kernel-headers package should match that result.

What does

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
report?
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

madwoollything wrote:The question is, has anyone got virtualbox 4 running on LMDE and what do you need to do to get it to work?
For sure! But then I use the deb from the Oracle site rather... you don't want to be using the OSE versions if USB connections are necessary.

$ dpkg -l virtual*
||/ Name                       Version                                               Description
+++-==================================================
un  virtualbox               <none>                                             (no description available)
ii  virtualbox-4.0           4.0.4-70112~Debian~squeeze          Oracle VM VirtualBox
un  virtualbox-ose        <none>                                             (no description available)
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Habitual wrote:kernel-headers installed?

uname -r
kernel-headers package should match that result.

What does

report?
kernel-headers are installed and match uname -r

sudo /etc/ini.d/vboxdrv setup does not report anything.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

What

should do is rebuild your Virtualbox kernel modules. You should see something like this

* Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                    [ OK ] 
 * Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                       [ OK ] 
 * Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS           [ OK ] 
 * Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                                    [ OK ]
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

I have followed the advice of installing 4.0.4 from Oracle and it works however ....

after a reboot I get the following message:

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

If I run the vboxdrv setup then I get the following:

"$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
[sudo] password for ian:
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules:.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules:.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS:.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules:."

Then all works again. What is failing to load at startup?

Maybe the problems I've been having with 4.0.4 are linked with 4.0.2?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

re: "4.0.4 are linked with 4.0.2"

You have both installed?
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Habitual wrote:re: "4.0.4 are linked with 4.0.2"

You have both installed?
No.
I first installed 4.0.2 which would not run.
I then went back to 3.2 which worked fine (removing 4.0.2)
Finally removed 3.2 and installed 4.0.4 from Oracle site.

4.0.4 runs after running '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' after each reboot of the host machine
ScoobyDan

Post by ScoobyDan »

madwoollything wrote:4.0.4 runs after running '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' after each reboot of the host machine
madwoollything,

How did you install VirtualBox 4.0.4? Via the direct download, or via the Oracle repository?

I had the same problem as you when I used the version from Debian's repository (3.2). I then went to the VirtualBox site, and added the VirtualBox repository to my sources.list:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib
This then replaced 3.2 with 4.0.4(-70112~Debian~squeeze, to be precise), which works every time without a glitch.

Worth a try?

Daniel
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

ScoobyDan wrote:
madwoollything wrote:4.0.4 runs after running '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' after each reboot of the host machine
madwoollything,

How did you install VirtualBox 4.0.4? Via the direct download, or via the Oracle repository?

I had the same problem as you when I used the version from Debian's repository (3.2). I then went to the VirtualBox site, and added the VirtualBox repository to my sources.list:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib
This then replaced 3.2 with 4.0.4(-70112~Debian~squeeze, to be precise), which works every time without a glitch.

Worth a try?

Daniel
Thanks but I used the Oracle repository as you did (to replace 3.2 from the mint repos) and have to run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' after each reboot with version 4.0.4
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Help .... :!:

I've gone back to virtualbox 3.2 hoping that that would solve the problem ..... but no.
Something is messed up and after each reboot when I launch virtualbox I get the same error message as before (see below).

Anyone an bright ideas on how I can fix this?

(I've completely removed virtualbox via synaptic and then reinstalled, but this does not appear to have made any difference. DKMS is installed.
I don't want to have to do a full re-install of LMDE just to get virtualbox working again)

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marlar »

madwoollything wrote: (I've completely removed virtualbox via synaptic and then reinstalled, but this does not appear to have made any difference. DKMS is installed.
I don't want to have to do a full re-install of LMDE just to get virtualbox working again)
Did you also remove all configuration files? They typically reside in ~/.VirtualBox

You can also try to purge the program:

sudo aptitude purge virtualbox-3.2

Return to “LMDE Archive”