Icon only with minimised windows.(not solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Icon only with minimised windows.(not solved)

Post by viking777 »

When I open several windows in an openbox session I get a panel that looks like this:
Screenshot-1.png
Ignore the number at the front, that just tells you I am working on desktop 1

But when I open several windows in fluxbox it looks like this:
Screenshot-2.png
I prefer the openbox look. Can anyone tell me how to achieve that in flux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Icon only with minimised windows.

Post by richyrich »

By editing your tint2rc file, and changing the following under the task section : task_icon = 1, task_text = 0, and task_maximum_ size = 32 32 (you may have to try different numbers here)

Source : http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure
viking777

Re: Icon only with minimised windows.

Post by viking777 »

Thanks very much indeed Richy - excellent information.

It wasn't actually the solution because my tint2rc was already configured the way you suggested, but it certainly showed me the way to go. What I had to do was this:
Autorun tint2 in Fluxbox
Remove fluxbox pannel and systray in ~/.fluxbox/init
Remove systemtray from the list of items in the line session.screen0.toolbar.tools.
On line session.screen0.toolbar.visible: true. Change true to false.
Add (sleep 2s && tint2) & in ~/.fluxbox/startup
Restart Fluxbox.
Taken from a different page of the site you linked to.

Anyway it works beautifully now, so thanks again.
viking777

Re: Icon only with minimised windows.(not solved)

Post by viking777 »

Damn!

You are going to think I am an overly picky pain in the rear now. :lol:

My Panel now looks exactly like I want it to look but I find out that I have lost access to the fluxbox window menu. This is the context menu that appears when you right click on any minimised window and allows you to do things such as save the size, position, workspace, head (if you have two screens) that any window will open with. As I have two screens I use this a lot and now it has gone because I have have handed over control of the panel to tint2 instead of flux.

The functionality part is of more importance to me than the 'look' of the thing so I will have to revert to the fluxbox panel management. I have read the tint2 wiki and the fluxbox one and I can't find a way to have the best of both worlds - unless somebody knows differently??
thil7

Post by thil7 »

yes, you can't get both.

In tint2 you have some action on task. See mouse section http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Con ... on_on_task

The workspace, position, ... of Window are managed by the Window manager. You can check rc.xml in openbox config directory.
Here the way to open icedove on desktop 2:
<application name="icedove*">
<desktop>2</desktop>
</application>
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Thanks for that thil7, I will just stick with the Fluxbox setup it is easiest to configure. Not as good looking as tint2 though.

Return to “Software & Applications”