LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GregE

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by GregE »

gotjazz wrote:
rhY wrote: I don't know, I'm kind of a noob. I'm getting this error in :Failed to fetch http://archive.removed/ubuntu/dists/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead. as well, so as you can see .deb isn't as functional as I think you could have it. Maybe I just set something up wrong, but at any rate, they weren't listed in the "Search" menu, and the rest of the OS works so well, I'm getting lazy.

Nice job team.
rhY
uhm that just means the repo was down - but why did you add removed to lmde? not a good idea imho.
@rhY Just to explain the point in more detail, removed is for Ubuntu, and Ubuntu and Debian are no longer the same thing. Just because Ubuntu is based on a snapshot of Debian does not make them compatible, Ubuntu marches to it's own beat. Some packages can be cross installed, but Ubuntu is compiled for a different set of library versions and usually contains a lot of stuff from SID and Experimental. If you try and install Ubuntu packages in Debain Testing you will occasionally be successful but mostly will run the risk of borking you system and often they simply will refuse to install because dependencies cannot be satisfied. Same problem with Ubuntu PPAs, they are a fast track to stuffing up a Debian system.

If you want to continue with LMDE then leave the Ubuntu stuff behind and embrace the Debian way.
GregE

Post by GregE »

I would like to see an Xfce 4.8 version or option in LMDE. Maybe just a meta package that can be installed from inside the Gnome version. I would guess that now Squeeze is stable and we move to Wheezy that many packages are going to rapidly stream from experimental to sid to wheezy and thus to LMDE. Hopefully Xfce 4.8 will be in that stream.

I agree with others that the default kernel should be the Debian Testing kernel. However the Liquorix kernel source list could be added to the default list so those who know what they are doing can simply add a newer kernel if they need it. Liquorix kernels will not install just because they are in the list, you have to tag them. The sound chip on my motherboard is barely functional with 2.6.32, it needs at least a 2.6.35. So for me Squeeze was a fail from the start without Liquorix.

Lastly a way to keep up to date with the latest video drivers. As others have suggested a front end to smxi or the like would be desirable. I have always found the Debian way fine if you never want to update, but a pain if you like to install the newest driver all the time. I usually get lazy and just run the Nvidia installer manually and re run it with each kernel update.

I see an opportunity for a Debian based Xfce 4.8 distro to gain a lot of users who simply do not like Gnome Shell or Unity and want a more conventional desktop. Now Xfce has added support for network shares in Thunar it's time may have arrived.

LMXfceDE is a snappy name.

:)
jumbli

Post by jumbli »

The use of black text on a white background began out of the necessity to save ink. The problem is, on most monitor screens, the white background emits a glare which many of us find very uncomfortable. Please include one or two themes with non-white textarea background.
Centerfinger

Post by Centerfinger »

Another vote for a DE choice during the install. I'm a linux noob and have distro hopped all over the place. As a new linux user I suppose gnome is fine, but after playing around with things for a couple of months I'm in the Xfce boat now. Xfce is almost half of the ram resource hog that gnome is and the right click menu just works. Since LMDE is a rolling release that is a big plus for me. The other big plus to new linux users would be the option to pick and choose desktop enviorments. I think if LMDE had the option to install gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, etc. from the get go, it would hands down be the #1 distro.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

That would be nice, of course, but it's a huge amount of work, for a small minority of users. Gnome is used by the vast majority, KDE is second , and xfce, lxde, and all the rest combined is probably less than 10%. Lots of work to support a few, and that's probably the main reason few distros provide those options.
Anonymo

Post by Anonymo »

GregE wrote:I would like to see an Xfce 4.8 version or option in LMDE. Maybe just a meta package that can be installed from inside the Gnome version. I would guess that now Squeeze is stable and we move to Wheezy that many packages are going to rapidly stream from experimental to sid to wheezy and thus to LMDE. Hopefully Xfce 4.8 will be in that stream.
Have you tried the Crunchbang XFCE? I was hoping that Crunchbang and Mint would work together on the Debian projects.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Anonymo wrote:Have you tried the Crunchbang XFCE? I was hoping that Crunchbang and Mint would work together on the Debian projects.
#!Crunchbang Statler (Xfce) is based on Debian Squeeze and not on 'testing' ... so no Xfce-4.8 in #!Crunchbang ... until Xfce-4.8 hits the Debian Squeeze 'stable' repros -- in a year or two.

I use both LMDE (with Xfce over Gnome) and #!Crunchbang Statler with Xfce . . . they are both great.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Welcome back, Ikey! Keep up the great work. To add my votes (they're really modest):
+n for adding a partitioner during install
+n for the option to encrypt /home during install

I agree that lmde needs its own identity, but I also want to preserve the Mint identity. I love Mint, and have been running the latest main edition as my primary desktop since Daryna. I have lmde as a VM in VirtualBox, and I am liking it a lot. It seems cleaner and crisper than main, but I like being able to emulate the same look and feel with both.

One interesting discovery is that I can use Evolution with the Exchange backend under lmde, but not in Mint main. In Mint main the calendar and tasks fail after a short time. I need the Exchange connection, including Active Directory, for work, so I may switch to lmde for my main desktop. (I'm currently stuck using Outlook in a Windows VM in VirtualBox for work e-mail and other tool integration.)

Lenovo ThinkPad x200, Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 10 64-bit Gnome
DJ A. J. Slye

Post by DJ A. J. Slye »

Why not just run Outlook and or MS Office under Wine?
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Yeah, I've tried that a couple of times, and it was unstable (crashed fairly frequently). Another option is DavMail/Thunderbird/Lightning, which works for some of our Linux users. I prefer the seamless integration that Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint) offers, and the closest Linux equivalent I have found is Evolution. But Evolution has been unstable, and its development cycle uneven. I was excited to discover that it worked dependably under LMDE, and may switch, once the Squeeze/Testing transition settles down.
LoneStar

Post by LoneStar »

I don't like grub2 and never has - it reminds me too much of days of yore (lilo) and "that other OS" inasmuch as it wants to be all-encompassing (and often fails miserably - just like that "other" OS).

It just wants to be #1 - which is fine if you run only one distro.
Me - I'm an ardent distro-hopper (favourite distro these past couple of months being lmde!!) - I usually have at least 3 distro's on each of my many rigs.
Also - I'm afraid I also like 'reiserfs' and I like to install the 'native' bootloader for any distro on the first sector of the root filesystem - that way I keep it all oh-so-clean.

Now - grub2 doesn't want to do that - it wants the MBR and it doesn't like reiserfs - together with any other distro also using grub2! (yup - welcome to my world)
So - I make myself a nice little 'grub-partition' where I use legacy grub and chainload to whatever distro I like ... and - I don't have to run grub-update (ooops, that should be 'sudo grub-update') every friggin time.

Having these grub2-aversions - I have removed grub from my lmde (because it insists on using MBR at least if the rootfs is reiserfs (not enough space at start of partition" - duh!!)) and of course I get an error every time the kernel is being updated because it generates a new initrd and then try to do a grub-update - silly thing! - can it not see I dont want grub?? (well - at least grub2)

In short - on my wishlist:
1) enable grub2 to work with both reiserfs _and_ being able to install it on the first sector of the root filesystem
2) to be able to do an 'apt-get upgrade' without involving grub

Thanks yall
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Running Lookout under wine is somthing I would not wish on anyone. Evolution also was unstable under Ubuntu, but it works fine under Debian. I haven't had a problem with it since I switched to LMDE.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

In case it didn't bubble up from the "libva1 / vlc broken in wheezy" threads, it would be good to have a pinned area in the forum for those OMGWTFBBQ moments.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

"LMDE" branding is potentially confusing vs. "LXDE;" emphasize "Mint Debian" instead.

Still deciding whether a bleeding-edge Flash player is a good fit... it can't get here for amd64 soon enough. Bugs do seem to be chromium 11.x's fault.

Nothing to do with the Debian edition specifically, but...

Mint tools
  • mintbackup: should remember which files I exclude
  • mintmenu: search is the centerpiece of Mint. (NB: Win7 menu is similar.) What if it could crawl reviews?
    • Ex: search "samurize" --> conky
    • Ex: search "transmission" --> deluge
    • the app store problem is big, and needs a *cough* *hack* canonical *wheeze* *gesundheit* solution
    • should be shared with mintinstall's "search in summary, description" options
      • these are terribly slow, and make the GUI unresponsive (contrast, "google instant")
      • I wouldn't mind at all if this were monetized through the custom search engine
New tools
  • mintmount: configuration tool for /etc/fstab
  • mint3d: graphics driver setup tool (spare me TFM)
  • graphical frontend for Fred :D
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

NTFS partitions don't mount automatically when you click on them in Nautilus. This is the default behaviour in Ubuntu-based Mint, as well as a few other distros, and so I think it should also be the default here if we are aiming to make it as close to the main edition as possible. I'm not actually sure what the difference is that allows this to happen. I've setuid /usr/bin/ntfs-3g (I've even set it to 777 just for testing's sake) without any luck, so I imagine that there's an Ubuntu patch going on somewhere.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

randomizer wrote:NTFS partitions don't mount automatically when you click on them in Nautilus. This is the default behaviour in Ubuntu-based Mint, as well as a few other distros, and so I think it should also be the default here if we are aiming to make it as close to the main edition as possible. I'm not actually sure what the difference is that allows this to happen. I've setuid /usr/bin/ntfs-3g (I've even set it to 777 just for testing's sake) without any luck, so I imagine that there's an Ubuntu patch going on somewhere.
actually nautilus behaves exactly the same way in lmde - it's just that by default you need to have root rights to mount local file-systems that aren't in your fstab in debian.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@randomizer , I was just reading about a solution for automounting ntfs the other day . . .

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 55#p355955
burjans

Post by burjans »

Ikey
I'm not sure as to the size of LMDE, I don't even think size constraints have come to be mentioned yet
but I think the idea is to make the software selection of LMDE as similar to Main as possible
would be good to have LMDE in one LiveCD :P

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67303

best regards
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

gotjazz wrote:actually nautilus behaves exactly the same way in lmde - it's just that by default you need to have root rights to mount local file-systems that aren't in your fstab in debian.
So perhaps we need to look at changing that. I know that LMDE is meant to be keeping its Debian roots, but it also aims to be close to the main edition. From what I've read it seems that one of the solutions is to use setuid root on /usr/bin/ntfs-3g, but that alone didn't work for me. I just wish I knew how it was done in Ubuntu.

Before anyone brings it up, I don't consider ntfs-config an adequate solution. It's little more than a front-end to /etc/fstab anyway. Unfortunately it's the dominant "solution" to NTFS automounting issues when I do research using Google (usually because people want to automount at startup, which this is fine for, but that's not what I'm after).
t3g

Post by t3g »

This one would be more for MintUpdate with radio button options to select between Stable, Testing, or Unstable. If you choose to not use Testing or SID, the Stable option would assign the repository strings to the current stable name (Squeeze), and when a new stable version comes out (Wheezy), the Stable option then changes the repository names to the new one. That way a person can stick with the stable option only and only make the major upgrade when the next stable release comes out. Maybe I am IT manager at an office and want the systems locked down and only update when it is at the most stable. That could be a year or 2 years, but could be something to brainstorm.

Return to “LMDE Archive”