repositories still say testing

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lKingjr

repositories still say testing

Post by lKingjr »

my LMDE 10 install was done I believe since the RC. My software sources.repositories still say "testing". now that LMDE 10 has been out awhile, should they still say testing?

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: repositories still say testing

Post by gosa »

Now... I'm quite new with this so if anyone wants to step in and correct me I won't take offense... :wink:
But - it is my understanding that LMDE will always follow debian testing.
If you want to stay with Squeeze you have to change your setup manually to point to squeeze instead...

Edit: By the way... there are no such thing as LMDE 10, so I just assumed we are talking about LMDE now that we're in that part of the forum. Right?
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

gosa wrote:Now... I'm quite new with this so if anyone wants to step in and correct me I won't take offense... :wink:
But - it is my understanding that LMDE will always follow debian testing.
If you want to stay with Squeeze you have to change your setup manually to point to squeeze instead...

Edit: By the way... there are no such thing as LMDE 10, so I just assumed we are talking about LMDE now that we're in that part of the forum. Right?
true enough. I just started calling it that when they started using the themes and icons from LM10
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Yes your repos should still say testing. Even if you change them to squeeze at this point and have done some updates since Squeeze released, you probably got all the updates that came in within a week or two after release. Testing is now Wheezy and I'm just leaving mine on testing. No point making them anything else unless you want stable and AFAIK the only way to have true stable based on Squeeze is to install from iso (pre Debian 6 release), change repos to Squeeze (or stable) and then do updates. That way none of the Wheezy stuff gets pulled in.

LMDE will stay with testing and there are lots of interesting perspectives and discussion threads on changing/keeping repos throughout the LMDE forum.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

TBABill is correct as per the repositories. I also agree that the default wallpaper can be misleading for LMDE users.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

rivenathos wrote: I also agree that the default wallpaper can be misleading for LMDE users.
So true... And it's not the first time I read LMDE 10 being mentioned.. (Confused the h*ck out of me in the beginning...)

Although I lack the skills for it myself I'm quite confident that the theme & wallpaper wizards can come up with something that gives a bit more "identity" to LMDE.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

also the designation lmde 10 that some people use - maybe even worse than the wallpaper. there's no such thing.
there is only one lmde and that's kind of the point. It always stays lmde
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

The only distinction I have made in regards to LMDE is Spin 1 and Spin 2. Of course, that just refers to a particular point in time, though a good spot of reference.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “LMDE Archive”