Tons of problems... [help me]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll start with some of your problems
new problem : http://volatile.debian.org etch/volatile Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY EC61E0B0BBE55AB3
You should not have debian in your sources
Remove the line with debian etch from your /etc/apt/sources.list
and then that's solved
For the missing final newline
Rename the file
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-style-human-list
You'll get some other error but will be able to clean out apt
I doubt the file is needed in "every day use" but if you have problems reinstall - it's in Synaptic that should work by now
I have to come back to you about the printer, scanner and sound
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Tons of problems... [help me]

Post by scorp123 »

vlad wrote: Thats on a fresh installation of celena few hours old.
Well, can't be that "fresh" if you already messed with it and inserted Debian apt sources ... which is begging for problems. Debian, Ubuntu and Mint are different operating systems. Or to use a different analogy: both diesel and gasoline are used as fuel in car engines, the principle is even similar (fuel burns, produces gas ... motor moves car), and yet you can't fill gasoline into a diesel-powered car and diesel into a gasoline-powered car. If you do that your only achievement will be a horribly high bill from the mechanic who had to fix your ruined car. Same here.

Also it would help if you told us where /dev/hda5 is supposed to be mounted and what's on it. We don't have crystal balls :wink:

(stupid typos corrected)
Last edited by scorp123 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think that the debian etch repo may have come from a failed install with mintInstall. It could have used that repo and failed before removing it, there is an apt failure.
It has (probably) nothing to do with that package, it's just that that file got destroyed.
hda5 is solved luckily :)
Your scanner is found in the list, but I'll give you this link anyway
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5945
You must install sane and xsane from Synaptic and then the scanner driver - haven't checked if there is a linux driver but HP generally has linux support but not always
The HP Color Laserjet 1500L is a paperweight
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... erJet_1500
Sorry...
For recording - check the settings in the program you use
You must select the right source
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If this is from a failed mintInstall install.. then running mintInstall will solve the issue and restore the user's sources.list.

Clem

Return to “Beginner Questions”